Front Hub Wont Turn

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has the auto hubs like mine, the hubs corrode and it wedges the hubs locked if you dont use them much. I usally turn mine in several times a year, and still some times I have to use force.:sorry One of the bad parts on the front end.
Dont really know if this is covered under the powertrain warranty I am going to find out for mine, warranty runs out soon.
I see yours is an 03, warranty done gone.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i had same issue.. hub(s) locked up. dealer said gasket got 'wedged' and caused the failure. they replaced and told me to 'once a month manually lock and roll up and down your driveway to keep things all in proper working order - or about 1k miles'. so i have done that and they had to replace it again many months later. well guess what, driver side sounds like it is locked again, and it must be redone a third time...just trying to find the time to get it in..
give dealer a call and get it fixed

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Take the snap ring loose.......pull the locking hub and see if you can free it up with some lubricant.

Tbar

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
Mine has the same issue. I have taken the hub apart as far as i can. All of the gears work fine. My problem is in the outer end of the hub. It seems to be sealed really well and i assume this is how the vacuum works. Is there any way to take out the outside knob without distroying it?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I periodically spray some penetrating oil (Schaffer Penetro) on the outside of the hub, between the hub and the plastic insert. seems to free them right up and keep em turning free :sweet

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the same issue. I have taken the hub apart as far as i can. All of the gears work fine. My problem is in the outer end of the hub. It seems to be sealed really well and i assume this is how the vacuum works. Is there any way to take out the outside knob without distroying it?

I done the same thing and couldnt get the end apart either, I would say there is a way but i dont know.
I would be afraid to put penatrating oil on it because it may soften the rubber seals and then would have to buy new ones.

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
Well i decided to give up on my siezed hub. I found one at the local junk yard for $75. It was manufactured in 2007 and was in great condition. My truck is all back together with new ball joints and u-joints on the front end. Thanks for the help guys.

Reaction score
$205 for warn premiums gets rid of the auto feature but now i know mine are disengaged.

HPIM0148.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14