Fuel additive question

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been currently using Power Services Diesel Kleen, which right now I haven't had any problems with water and it hasn't been cold enough yet in Maryland to start gelling. Overall, I'd say it is doing it's job as far as lubricating and boosting the cetane number but I was curious, will mixing fuel additives have any drawbacks?

Such as, using some Diesel Kleen one tank full then using Stanadyne to the next tank of fuel I get? Something along those lines, when it's warm out I don't use fuel additives every tank full, usually every other. I get fuel a little over once a week.

Reason I ask, I ordered some Stanadyne from DIS a while back and they're finally shipping my order since Stanadyne was reforumlated for ULSD. I haven't even seen ULSD in my area yet? :dunno

pmrpete

Powerstroke Fanatic
Reaction score
Stanadyne...

I use Stanadyne and have been very pleased with it. I can't see how it would hurt anything to switch off between additives.

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the last 3 years i have been using power services diesel kleen with a oil additive (lucas synthetic oil stbalizer)in the winter. i live by water and it gets pretty cold in the winter time. this combination has been working fine. recently i have been using stanadyne and i see about 1-2 mpg difference over power services and is about the same price as diesel kleen.

pmrpete

Powerstroke Fanatic
Reaction score
Sleeper Diesel said:
for the last 3 years i have been using power services diesel kleen with a oil additive (lucas synthetic oil stbalizer)in the winter. i live by water and it gets pretty cold in the winter time. this combination has been working fine. recently i have been using stanadyne and i see about 1-2 mpg difference over power services and is about the same price as diesel kleen.

I experienced results very similar to these using Stanadyne. I was stoked bigtime to see the better mileage. Besides the other stuff it does like lubricity, water displacement, just the MPG alone almost pays for itself.

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Lord Tauk said:
I haven't even seen ULSD in my area yet? :dunno

ULSF is most like already being used in your area. They just haven't caught up with marking the pumps yet since it is supposed to be good for all engines.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White Buffalo said:
ULSF is most like already being used in your area. They just haven't caught up with marking the pumps yet since it is supposed to be good for all engines.

True.

I seem to always get my diesel from this one BP/Amoco station that's on the way home from work, and I always look for the ULSD sticker, they still have the LSD sticker still on all the pumps.

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Lord Tauk said:
True.

I seem to always get my diesel from this one BP/Amoco station that's on the way home from work, and I always look for the ULSD sticker, they still have the LSD sticker still on all the pumps.

Have you noticed any difference the last month? ANy loss in MPG or the engine sounding louder? Some posts have stated a louder running engine & etc - I have'nt been able to determine if it's just in my head!:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl