Fuel additives - what are you guys running?

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy -

I'm relative new to the world of diesels and have just recently started to do some reading about fuel additives and the benefits that they offer. I figured I'd post up here and see what you guys are running, and why.

FYI, I've got a 6.0.

Thanks,

- Steve

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super-Tech 2 cycle oil with TCW3 in it, Religiously, from WalMart. 16oz to 16gal. Puts the lubrication qualities back in to #2 Diesel that ULSC regs took out.

A Shot (per the ratio) of Diesel Clean (grey jug) now & then.. just to clean-up the injectors.

Joe

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have show my ignorance here, I and driving my first diesel, I get the injector cleaner, but what does the 2 cycle oil do again?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Fords diesel fuel additive. Buy it by the gal. not the wimpy little bottles they try to sell you over the counter.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i have used diesel services diesel kleen that big joe mentioned pretty much since they swapped over to ulsd to help replace some of the lubrication mentioned and have had good results...when i'm not at school willies place is about 5 min from my house so i run some bio willie as well...just make sure to replace the fuel filters pretty soon if you havent been using an additive these do a good job cleaning out the gunk and will fill up your filter in a hurry so its best to keep using it regulary so it stays clean just my opinion

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have show my ignorance here, I and driving my first diesel, I get the injector cleaner, but what does the 2 cycle oil do again?

No ignorance observed by me, this is how we learn about stuff.

Simply put. Some Diesel engine (like the 7.3) fuel systems, by design, need the lubrication qualities provided by the fuel. Things like O rings, seals and most important.. the injectors. ULSC diesel doesn't provide that.

Soo.. Some of us compensate for that by using an additive like the 2 cycle oil, or other similar products.

The 6.0 was born during the LSC, ULSC evolution, so by re-design, May Not Need an additive.. It's up to you ?

Maybe some of the other 6.0/6.4 guys will jump in ??

Joe

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned below, I use Diesel Clean and have been since the truck was new. Not only does it keep injectors clean, but it also raises cetane and helps fuel mileage. I use 8 ounces per 30 gallon fill up and it pays for itself with the increased mileage. We're only talking less than 1/2 mpg better mileage, but it still pays for itself, so why not. Plus I've only had to replace 2 injectors in 300k. It may be coincidence, but it's obviously not hurting anything. JMO

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use additives pretty much every fill up - Anti gel in the winter and Cetane boost in the summer. Helps the fuel burn better and reduces carbon and cleans ur injectors. I've been using the Motorcraft additive but am switching to Power services because its cheaper and i think its pretty much the same stuff - Read the Backs of the bottles, Do NOT use any additive that contains alcohol in a 6.0 or any new diesel for that matter because it will ruin the injectors. The only one that i have found that contains alcohol is Diesel 911 - The rest of the Power Services stuff doesn't.

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, had no idea about alcohol, thanks for the tip. I will look for Diesel Clean next time I am at Wally World.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I've used Diesel Clean, Stanadyne Performance Formula and B99.

I like Diesel Clean because of the added cetane.
Stanadyne is more expensive and harder to find.
B99 is not really an additive, but the best injector cleaner around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg