Fuel and coolant leaks.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the hood up tonight to check all the fluids and found 2 different leaks.

First one is fuel. Back of the fuel bowl and the engine valley is wet with fuel. Checked it out with a flashlight and I'm 95% sure it's coming from the drain valve. Where is a good place to get quality o-rings for the drain valve without going to the stealership?

Second leak is coolant, I think. Doesn't feel like oil and doesn't smell like fuel. Top of the water pump is wet. Thermostat housing is dry around the thermostat gasket, but down on top of the water pump it is wet along the water pump gasket and down over the front of the pump. Not wet enough that it is dripping, just enough to make the pump wet. I haven't had to add any coolant, and I can't feel any play in the pump. I'm thinking maybe the gasket is leaking between the pump and the motor. As far as I know, this is the original water pump. I got the truck with 51,000 miles on it and I have never changed it. Guess I'll be putting a new pump on it soon.

Hopefully I can get a chance to wash the motor down this week and pinpoint the coolant leak a little better.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You should use Viton O-rings. Or at least O-rings made for diesel fuel. Regular rubber O- rings will dissolve.

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
There really isn't any way of fixing a water pump leak that doesn't involve removing the pump. Whether it is a leaking shaft seal, whether it is leaking from around the pump body, you're going to have to pull it to either fix the leak or replace the pump. If you're going to go thru that much trouble, it's worth your while to replace the pump.

Somethings to consider before getting into this project:
Get a new t-stat housing. Dieselsite.com has a Billet t-stat housing. It won't warp or leak like the pressed sheet metal factory one.

They also have a Hi Temp T-Stat. It allows the engine to run at a slightly warmer temp for better engine efficiency.

Get a coolant filter. There is still some residual sand from the foundry circulating thru the cooling system. That cooling sand has an abrassive effect on the water pump & shaft seal shortening it's service life. The coolant filter will filter out that sand over time. It is interesting to open up that first coolant filter after it has been on for a while. You'll see how much crud it removed from your system.

And last of all, rent or borrow a fan clutch wrench set from Adance, Autozone or where ever you can get one. Getting that fan clutch off the water pump shaft is real hard without it, it's a snap with it.

Last edited:

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise TG. I already have the 203* thermostat, billet housing, and the coolant filter, all from Dieselsite. I also have a fan clutch wrench that uses an air chiesel to motivate it. I was just planning on replacing the pump anyway. No use in taking it off and not replacing it, especially with 126,000 on it. Anybody know which way the threads turn on the fan clutch?

My biggest question was where to find good o-rings at a good price. I found these on this web site...

Replacement O-rings for Diesel Engines

Replacement O-rings for Diesel Engines

Anybody ever get o-rings from this source? Know of any other places? Thanks.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I tried checking my fan/pump play with the belt still attached. now I know better. and I got my viton o rings at auto-zone.:2c

twt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I got an assortment set of Viton 0 rings from Autozone, Not sure of the part #.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the water pump today. Went pretty good. Took about 3 hours. After the belt was off I could feel just a little bit of plat in the pump bearings. Not much, but enough to make me want to change it. I've seen fans hit radiators cause the bearings went out, and I didn't want to see it on my truck. There was no signs of leakage out the weep hole, so I think the play was just 126,000 miles of wear. The gasket looked like it was leaking along the top or the pump.

I also ordered the o-rings for the fuel filter drain valve from Dfuser.com. My little way of saying thanks for being a site sponsor. Hopefully I will get that fixed within the next week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14