Fuel Cetane numbers

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what all you are seeing for cetane numbers on your fuel. I have been looking for better than 40 cetane for a while, and stumbled across a pump that puts out 59 cetane.

Since I recently learned that we should be burning 45 or better, this thing should grow wings once I get the other crap out of the tank!

Reaction score
Kleetus said:
I'm just curious what all you are seeing for cetane numbers on your fuel. I have been looking for better than 40 cetane for a while, and stumbled across a pump that puts out 59 cetane.

Since I recently learned that we should be burning 45 or better, this thing should grow wings once I get the other crap out of the tank!

Very lucky to get anything over 40 around here. Some of the BP stations carry 45 - but not all.

From everything that I have read - once you get over 50 - it does not matter anymore - that's the magic number for peak combustion - but I'd like some of it anyways.

Ron

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Kleetus said:

None of the pumps that I've been to in MA or CT are marked. :confused:

Saftman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
None of the pumps are marked. I called the Shell Dist. and asked about their Premium Diesel He said that it averages about 45. I have run it and don't notice any difference in mileage or perfromance from the Valero (Diamond Shamrock) I normally use. It is about 12 cents a gallon more than everyone else around here charges. :sweet

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... Maybe I got lucky, I've driven by this place for probably 15 years, back even when I had the 6.9... Never got fuel there because the people running the place are tards. The pumps leak like a seive, and the auto shut off doesn't work, found that out as it pumped it out on the truck tonight! Well it smells like the big ones now!

Green '03

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I hadn't run any in it in about 6 months now, but sitting at a light yesterday it seemed to be idling loud and just not "right". So I threw in a half bottle of Stanadyne this morning and filled the tank. Another 20 miles down the road and the truck just smoothed out all around, truly amazing. The stuff is good and I'm sorry I've been neglecting to use it for so long.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58