Fuel Economy of 6.0 vs 7.3

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has probably been kicked around here and other forums for awhile, but does the 6.0 with 5 speed automatic get better mileage than the 7.3 with the 4 speed automatic. I've heard the 6.0 has lower mileage than the 7.3. Just curious.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no... or rather, it depends.... :)
Not that I ever really measured either,
but my 02 7.3 typically got 1 or 2 mpg more than mu 03 6-oh...

BUT you must consider that the EPA dictated that with egr, emissions, etc...

so the 6.0 is actually more efficient (sic), but the 7.3 didn't have the "rules" to meet that the 6.-oh (and all other mfg's later diesels have to meet...

but please, if fuel mileage is one of your major prerequisites,
then you should not even be considering a 2 ton truck :)

VW's TDI gets much more....

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, anytime additional emissions controls are added, the mileage will drop. Fuel mileage is not a prerequisite, I'm happy with the mileage my 02 is getting, in fact with almost 80K on it, it seems to be doing better. It's getting 16+ in combined city/highway driving and 20-21 highway, much better than a V10 would get. The VW TDI is interesting, but I'd rather be sitting higher than most other drivers than feeling like my "butt was dragging the ground". I have experience with that feeling - my first car was a 72 Pinto.

d.welch1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 CC has 20K + miles on it, I average 16+ MPG city/hwy summer fuel driving, but only about 18+ all hwy, it might get better with more miles?? I know it would be better if I slowed down :dunno

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I average 14-16mph depending on how heavy I am on the throttle.

Most of my driving during the week is back and forth to work. This is 90% highway mileage with total mileage per day back and forth to work totaling 100 miles.

d.welch1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Skweeker, what is your manual idle up switch? just curious :confused:

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Look under the 6.0L PowerStroke forum. I posted a new post titled Wet Stacking, 2004 engine idle up mod.

bedwards

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
With 31000 miles I average 18 to 18.5 winter and 19.5 to 21 summer with the 6.0. My driving is heavy hwy and heavy foot.

BE

Rat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
Yes and no... or rather, it depends.... :)
Not that I ever really measured either,
but my 02 7.3 typically got 1 or 2 mpg more than mu 03 6-oh...

BUT you must consider that the EPA dictated that with egr, emissions, etc...

so the 6.0 is actually more efficient (sic), but the 7.3 didn't have the "rules" to meet that the 6.-oh (and all other mfg's later diesels have to meet...

but please, if fuel mileage is one of your major prerequisites,
then you should not even be considering a 2 ton truck :)

VW's TDI gets much more....
Sorry to disagree. I bought my 7.3 for longevity and fuel economy. I got both trading up from my F-150 with the 4.6 V-8. :thumbs Imagine my surprise that the 7.3 diesel can run circles around the old F-150. :cowboy:

Now if Ford doesn't get their act together in 07 I might look at a Dodge -popcorn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg