Fuel filter 7.3

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap!! Once again this site makes me feel like an idiot! I didnt know the little yellow thingy on the rear of the fuel filter housing was a drain valve. I just always made a mess changing the filter every other oil change. Which one of those little smilie things means dumbass????????:dunno

Anyhow, I crawled up under the truck and found a piece of steel tubing that exits on the passenger side of the motor, pointing down onto the frame. It that the end of the drain????

I had been buying Wix/Napa filters from fleetfilter, and found the latest batch was a new one piece type. And the freakin thing leaks no matter how much I dink around with the gasket/o ring. The 3rd one I put on finally sealed!! I never had any trouble figureing out which way to place the wedge shaped gasket on the OEM style.
So is anyone making the old style still???? Or do I have to go to the dealer....
This place just rules when it comes to getting the good info out to folks. Thanks!!:notworthy

Mike

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Which one of those little smilie things means dumbass????????:dunno

Anyhow, I crawled up under the truck and found a piece of steel tubing that exits on the passenger side of the motor, pointing down onto the frame. It that the end of the drain????

Mike

:doh:

Yup, I put a short length of hose on the tubing so when I drain it (on purpose :D) it drains into a bucket NOT all over my front axle. :rant :D

dpantazis

Reaction score
the best prices on racor fuel filters can be had from places like powerstrokehop.com. scroll down...~$17 +shipping. i would get an extra lid and one of their wrenches too. and an extra CPS sensor if you don;t have one already.

Last edited:

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I now have an extra lid cause all the filters I have are 1 piece w/the integrated (leaking) lid:eek:

I used to get the filters from Wabash but somehow got turned on to fleetfilter, even have a couple of the cool alum filter cover wrenchs which I now cant use (see above:rant)

But even with all this it is still easier to change than wifes Duramax.

Thanks all.

Mike

bobkat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Always something to make life harder.Hang in there.

rondog

oil burner
Reaction score
I shopped around on E Bay and found the old style w/o the lid for my '97. Might not be the best known brand, but they are working good for me. A lot less $ too. I was not going to pay $20 or whatever for a fuel filter at Pep Boys.:watchout

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well, I now have an extra lid cause all the filters I have are 1 piece w/the integrated (leaking) lid:eek:

I used to get the filters from Wabash but somehow got turned on to fleetfilter, even have a couple of the cool alum filter cover wrenchs which I now cant use (see above:rant)

But even with all this it is still easier to change than wifes Duramax.

Thanks all.

Mike

Mine seals on the first shot... sure you weren't putting it in dry?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Crap!! Once again this site makes me feel like an idiot! I didnt know the little yellow thingy on the rear of the fuel filter housing was a drain valve. I just always made a mess changing the filter every other oil change. Which one of those little smilie things means dumbass????????:dunno

this one :doh:

Dude, don't feel like the lone Stranger..
these things have been a pain in the ass ever since they decided to put them there...

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I dont think...

it went in dry.........At least the new one's no leaky. Ah well, nothing a little Simple Green and garden hose couldnt fix.

Guy I am riding colts for occ borrows the bosses 99. They just had the fuel filter changed at the dealer in SoCal. His wife actually watched the fuel gauge move towards empty after the change!!!!!!!!!

I had told him of my story. Their truck got towed back to the dealer, filter changed again and detailed the motor. Still smells like fuel tho!!!!!!!!:D

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
the best prices on racor fuel filters can be had from places like powerstrokehop.com. scroll down...~$17 +shipping. i would get an extra lid and one of their wrenches too. and an extra CPS sensor if you don;t have one already.

Thanks Dennis for the link to these guys! I ordered two fuel filters from them and still paid less for that with shipping than what I would have paid at the parts counter here in Round Lake for one!!!! Plus it came next day:sweet:sweet:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58