Question Fuel Filters? FICM?

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have problem and need the input from my fellow SDD members.

I have replaced the fuel filters on my truck three times in the last 5000 miles. The first time was routine maintenance. I changed the filters the same time I replaced my batteries last November. A month ago my father-in-law had the truck borrowed and it just quit going. The truck would idle roughly but would not accept acceleration and would die occasionally. He called a "mechanic" friend of his and the guy came out and said the fuel filters probably needed to be changed and proceeded to do just that. When the job was done the truck ran fine and there were no more issues. (I found out what happened after it was all done). Yesterday the truck did the same thing after my wife filled up with fuel. I towed it to the ranch and changed the filters...again. Truck ran great after the filters were replaced. I drove it about 70 miles home, later in the day, and it ran great.

I have a feeling the fuel filters are not the real problem and advice from you guys is what I need. The truck normally runs great with all kinds of power.

The only mods I have are 4", straight piped, exhaust.

atk

Reaction score
what do the filters look like, dirty???

have you scanned for codes?
have you checked fuel pressure?
when was the HFCM drained last?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I changed my FICM at 110,000 miles because it was acting erratic. It was very hard to start and would need to be plugged in in 45° weather. I took it in and Ford changed it out and now it runs great!

Dave

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filters looked fine when I changed them yesterday...I did not see the ones my father-in-law changed. I have not checked for codes or checked the fuel pressure. The HCFM get drained each time I change the filters.

Dave,
When you say it was acting erratic what symptoms were you observing?

mantis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I really don't know to much about these motors,but I can tell you it's NOT the filters. It almost seems as there may be some kind of a vacuum problem.If it does it again take of the fuel cap,and see what happens

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Mine were hard to start when cold, it acted like it was -20°F below zero. I also got several FICM related codes. Scan your truck. Everything else is guessing.

Dave

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only time truck is hard to start is when this particular problem occurs. I am on a rigsite now but will try to get it scanned when I get home again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14