Fuel Gauge Problem

frankmako

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Over the last three weeks my fuel gauge will drop to empty and the low fuel light will come on. This does not happen at every start up, just once or twice every other day. It happens after I have driven about one mile. The gauge will show normal fuel level at start up, and then will drop to empty. Sometimes it will go back to normal fuel level when driving. The tank has fuel in it. The gauge will just act up for no reason. Where can I start looking to fix this problem?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would start with the float sending unit. You will have to remove the bed or the tank to get to the top of the tank. Check all of the wire connections first!! Remove the sending unit cover and pull it out. The float maybe damaged or the electronics shot.

Dave :)

frankmako

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
it was the sending unit. the sending unit was one bunch of rust. it was not making contact inside the plastic housing at the ground area. i should have cleaned the old unit, but i did not want to take a chance. it was not hard to put in the new one. i drop the drive shaft so i could work at the tank. took off the skid plate and took off one side of the tank straps (drive shaft side). used a jack to support the tank and dropped the tank down on one side a few inches. it was easy to replace the sending unit. took about one hour. i don't see why the price of a sending unit is high.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is so high because it is a FORD part. Every auto manufacture does the same thing. Glad you got it fixed.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58