Fuel heater elimination...

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about why Ford would be eliminatin the fuel heater? See post I found elsewhere:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
""Just went through this yesterday, stripped the 6mm plug. I went to get the repair kit as mentioned earlier in this thread, the one with the side plate.
When I asked for the part # that is listed earlier the guy tells me there's an updated number. I get the plate and take a look. It has the steel plug, WIF sensor and no heater. I asked him what was up. Apparently the new part has eliminated the heater because it was ‘causing a condition’. I know the guy and don’t think he would mislead me. Besides, it makes sense. My WIF light was only coming on after running a while. When I started it, no light. A bit later, a light, without moving the truck.

So here’s what I ended up with. A new side plate, sensor and plug (6C3Z-9B249-A), and a new wiring pig tail to get rid of the heater wire (6C3Z-9F759-A).

On another note, I not yet replaced the side plate. What I did to get the old plug out was to take a dermal with a 1” heavy duty cut off wheel and cut a slot if the plug. I then used a half inch screw driver and a small crescent wrench to remove the plug. That got my water drained, and I’ll change the plate at a more convenient time.""

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i like the "causing a condition"
shoot i get a "condition" all the time :eek:
your going to force me to crawl under the truck this evening to check my fuel conditioner now

Sader

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm, interesting. Any elaboration on 'the condition' it was causing?

-popcorn

Scot

;()
Reaction score
????

Well, so far 2 dealers have not heard of this. The first words out of their mouths were "What about Jelling" So I guess this could just be an option in warmer climates.

AK_6LPSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HFCM Heater delet

From what I have read, the heater was eliminated because the repeated heating and cooling of the element is/was causing the "WIF light staying lit after draining" condition and maybe/probably the cause of many HFCM drain plugs to be a little stubborn unscrewing.

Apparently if you have an older 6.0 and take off the HFCM manifold, there is a good chance you will find a lot of gunk and corrosion on the heater element. :eek:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given how "sensibly" the rest of the truck is engineered, I'm willing to bet that chitcanning the fuel heater saved Ford $0.03 per truck in build/warranty costs...-mad :roflmao

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a second way how they heat the fuel to they bring the fuel back from the return lines and put it in the HFCM till it hits a sertin temp i forget what it is, Its in the bible i will have another look.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14