fuel jerry cans

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Other than color is there any difference in plastic jerry cans ? I couldn't find the yellow diesel ones so I bought the standard red. It thought I read somewhere that the 6.0 didn't like the old metal jerry cans. I'd like to carry more fuel than the 29 gallons my SD is set up for but the prices of an additional tank is way more than I'm willing to spend. Thanks for all help.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
at walmart I saw some labeled "not intended for on-road refueling" and others without. I bought a 5 gallon red can without that label. I am buying 2 more this week for my upcoming x-state run.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
other than price they are the same and f course it says Diesel on it
we bought three last summer right before katrina hit to store extra fuel
if your in a hot humid area treat it with sme biocide so you dont get micros groing in it.
some stations will freak if they see you put #2 in a can marked gasoline, but there is no difference , tractor supply actually sells the yellow ones here for twice the price of red ones,

oh and some dumb arse stle one last summer from under my rv, filled with diesel, i geuss they thught it had gasoline in it :D

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, yeah I bought a red one from Wal-Mart and had second thoughts after I brought it home. I'm fairly new to diesels and wanted to double check ,by the way what is biocide and where do I buy it? I'm not planning on storing it long term 2-4 days at the most I might buy a second one so I have an extra 10 gallons for our first real trip pulling a 30' fifth wheel up the Cal Coast.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Home Depot sells both for the same price. I picked up four of the yellow ones during the big tax-free hurricane sale. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14