Fuel Leak Under Bed

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I came home a little bit ago, I noticed there was a puddle on the ground where I had parked when I came home for supper. It seems to be diesel, and a quick look with the flashlight showed it came from the outboard side of the fuel tank, and down the frame, and it looked like the underside of the bed was dieselly too. Didn't investigate too much, a bit too dark and I'm too tired. What do I need to look for?

Anybody had a similar problem? Is it a return line to the tank? O-rings, etc? I was just hoping it would be an easily diagnosed problem so I don't waste too much time on it and know what to look out for from the start.

Thanks!

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might be leaking from the HFCM, bad o-ring most likely... Depends how much fuel is sprayed around, start it up, and crawl underneath with some safety glasses and see what you can find.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
bolt: go back thru the threads here and on 6/17 read my 'help me' post.

its got pix, might be what you've got. let us know. good luck

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like my problem, but my mess wasn't near as big. I still haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. Tomorrow, hopefully. Too many other things going right now. Decided to take the Explorer for a 3 hour trip, no telling how bad my mileage would be on that.

So, if it comes down to it, what's easier, dropping the tank or lifting the bed? I have a lift, so either way I can stand up under the vehicle and work on it.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
stealership did mine. they dropped the tank...too bad for them, i just put 30 gallons in it...:lmao:lmao

i had some seal go bad, don't know if it would have been anything i would have wanted to do anyway..i could go look up what it cost me..that will be later tho, i need some sleep..check back - i will edit..:sweet

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, don't bother to look up the price. This will not be done at the dealership, that's for sure. Maybe a good time to do the harpoon mod too.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
my 'breather tube' was leaking. they dropped tank, R&R tubing, seals checked o.k.

p/n 99181 sleeve $43.5
p/n 27006 1/2" FU $2.10 x2
shop supplies $22.38
labor $223.75:eek::eek:

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled the bed (surprisingly easy, WAY easier than a Chevy I've done before), and had a look around, all sorts of stuff was covered in diesel. The leak seamed to originate from the top of the tank somewhere. But I could not find the source. I removed everything I could, pressure checked the filler and vent house assembly. Nothing. So, I did the harpoon mod and re-installed everything. On the next fill up I put in over 31 gallons, right to the filler (yes, I was very empty) and it has yet to leak again. So perhaps it was in the clamps or something, I but I couldn't pinpoint the source. The underside of the bed was covered in diesel residue, along with the side of the tank, frame rail, etc.

Well, at least I "fixed" it and did a mod while I was at it!

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
Good for you, That's why it is much better doing it yourself and knowing its done properly and improved. Everything that fails should be improved. I had a manager told me once if we try to improve all the time, we will end up ahead of the compitition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14