Fuel leak when cold

Kodadd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I noticed the smell of diesel the other day and could not find the source. So I drove this morning and after moving the truck there was a puddle of diesel fuel.
After short inspection I noticed a puddle in the intake manifold area.
This must be an o ring issue because when it warms up it stops.

1999 7.3

I did a search on fuel leaks and nothing came up is there a common problem area for fuel leaks?

Thanks you guys year to date have saved me over 200 bucks in maintenance.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Could be the "O" rings for the yellow drain valve handle on the backside of the fuel filter bowl. Very common item, pretty easy to fix.:sweet

Kodadd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yep looks to be that napa does not carry the orings
thanks you guys are the best.

Ford wanted 40 bucks I am being cheep this year I ordered them from dieselorings.com 6 bucks 1.80 shipping its not my daily driver so I can wait a few days.

Again thanks again.

Last edited:

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel heater has 2 orings too. That can leak. Not as likely as the drain valve, but can leak.

jaysee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I found a diesel stain recently. Looked like it was dripping from a small tube near the front. First time I've seen this. And it happened the same morning I had a dead batt.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a diesel stain recently. Looked like it was dripping from a small tube near the front. First time I've seen this. And it happened the same morning I had a dead batt.

Small tube near the front ?

The Fuel Filter canister Fuel/water Drain valve O ring(s) are shot.

Not related to the Batts. How old are the battery's ??

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score

That sounds like the drain tube for the fuel filter drain. I put a piece of hose on it to extend the drain tube down lower. Makes it easier to see for one and makes it easier to catch any fuel into a bucket when I open the valve without running all over the front differential.

Last edited:

jaysee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tail Gunner: Is this normal ?
Big Joe: The battery was four yrs old and replaced. I just mentioned it because that's what made me look around & notice stain.
Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58