Fuel Leak

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a fuel leak that is causing fuel to pool up in the back of the valley underneath the large bolt that attaches the fuel lines to the fuel pump. I don't see any obvious signs of where the fuel is leaking from but I am thinking the fuel pump itself. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance, Pete

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of stuff that can leak fuel in the valley (fuel bowl, hoses, restriction sensor, pump, banjo bolt, etc)! Is it only on the back end of the pump (no pools of fuel on the front side)? If so, you can try tightening the banjo bolt (1-1/4" box wrench, may need to be bent a bit). If it's on both sides, you can try cleaning it up and then checking the weep hole on the bottom of the pump for leakage. Cheers!

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
+1 for the weep hole. i found the best way to diag a valley leak is with some powerwashing, and running the engine for a minute and check out where the wet spot is. if its the fuel pump, while you are in there you will definitely want to change out all the rubber hoses as well while everything is apart.

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
+2 on the banjo bolt, hose clamps on one of the 3 hoses coming out the front of the pump, a corroded/rusted Y pipe under the intake side of the turbo.

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your quick responce. The fuel is only at the back end of the pump- it is quite dry in front of it. As per Patrick's advise I will check the torque of the banjo bolt. If it is the weep hole, and I think it is, what does that mean? Is the pump about to fail? If that is the case, I sure cannot complain- it has MANY 10's of thousands of miles on it. It is below 0* here at night so I am not sure how I can really clean out the valley without going to a car wash. And I am leary of using a high pressure spray hose in the engine compartment.... Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions everyone! Pete

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your quick responce. The fuel is only at the back end of the pump- it is quite dry in front of it. As per Patrick's advise I will check the torque of the banjo bolt. If it is the weep hole, and I think it is, what does that mean? Is the pump about to fail? If that is the case, I sure cannot complain- it has MANY 10's of thousands of miles on it. It is below 0* here at night so I am not sure how I can really clean out the valley without going to a car wash. And I am leary of using a high pressure spray hose in the engine compartment.... Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions everyone! Pete

Yes, dont use high pressure spray hose. Use super green (IIRC the name?) and garden hose to clean it after some minutes and with a large screw driver and rags clean that as most as possible and thats it. You can use some baby powder there to find out the leak. ;tu

Last edited:

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks DOC-MX. I was able to determine that the fuel was coming from the weep hole so I have replaced the pump. End of problem- HOPEFULLY! Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. Pete

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks DOC-MX. I was able to determine that the fuel was coming from the weep hole so I have replaced the pump. End of problem- HOPEFULLY! Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. Pete

No problem, any time. Glad to hear that you fix the leak. :clap:;tu

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, that is a great IDEA with the wash and baby powder-I am gonna try it since I have been unable to locate the source of the fuel leak and smell of diesel fuel after shutting down.
ALL I NEED IS SOME AMBITION-the "old girl" just keeps runnin,suppose I had better reward her for that.
Thanks for the ideas and inspiration............;tu

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey, that is a great IDEA with the wash and baby powder-I am gonna try it since I have been unable to locate the source of the fuel leak and smell of diesel fuel after shutting down.
ALL I NEED IS SOME AMBITION-the "old girl" just keeps runnin,suppose I had better reward her for that.
Thanks for the ideas and inspiration............;tu

And if you use warm water, better and with the engine also a little warm, not hot, even better.
And with the baby powder, your motor will smell DELICIOUS ;tu

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14