Fuel leak

magnumiii

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a fuel leak coming from the top of the tank when filled? I just installed an aux fuel tank gravity feed and whe I use it I get a leak from on top of the tank. If I shut it off and run the truck a few miles it will stop leaking. The leak is not from the connection as it is in the center of the fill pipe. I have a 2007 cc superduty diesel.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a fuel leak coming from the top of the tank when filled? I just installed an aux fuel tank gravity feed and whe I use it I get a leak from on top of the tank. If I shut it off and run the truck a few miles it will stop leaking. The leak is not from the connection as it is in the center of the fill pipe. I have a 2007 cc superduty diesel.

Just a SWAG but it sounds like the main tank is overfilled and fuel is standing in the vent and fill pipe. You might replace those spring type clamps with Band Clamps ? :dunno

I'm think'n the weight (gravity) of the Aux tank fuel is forcing fuel out of fittings/joints that wouldn't normally Leak... when the main tank is >now<... Over full.

Joe

Last edited:

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my aux tank for veg oil, so that's a bit different than most, but I have experienced this. My theory is the check valve that's supposed to float and shut off the flow to the main tank gets "stuck" with gummy oil. Beating on the top of the check valve with a wrench usually solves it for me. Happened probably 3 times since I've had this setup...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg