fuel leak

john67

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 1999 f350 super duty with a7.3 turbo when i start the truck it leaks diesel from the fuel bowl drain line area any ideal where it could be hope i gave enough info thanks john

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Is the drain switched turned to the open position? I have heard of fuel bowls rusting out a couple of times recently. Someone will chine in soon with their opinion.

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the O rings on the drain valve. If it is it's an easy fix. Mine leaked both out of the drain line and into the valley. Removed the drain valve and and gathered the Orings ,went to the local Hydraulic supply (they have a massive supply of O rings) and bought viton rings . reinstalled drain with new O rings and no leak after 100K miles on new O rings. Hope this helps.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Agreed. I think there is even a kit out there to rebuild the whole fuel bowl. I got a quick question since we are talkin about the fuel bowl. I went to put a fuel filter in my 99 7.3 and they had a wix filter in it that had the cap built into it. Where is the best place to get a new lid? I use genuine motorcraft filters and want to go back with the stock style fuel bowl cap. Or do you guys recommend somethin else?

JDW TRUCKING

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I think there is even a kit out there to rebuild the whole fuel bowl. I got a quick question since we are talkin about the fuel bowl. I went to put a fuel filter in my 99 7.3 and they had a wix filter in it that had the cap built into it. Where is the best place to get a new lid? I use genuine motorcraft filters and want to go back with the stock style fuel bowl cap. Or do you guys recommend somethin else?

I use wix for my filter & have not had no problems, I think wix is a good filter for the replacement of motorcraft.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well our big oil supplier carries motorcraft stuff and I get a discount. Thats why I use it. Plus my truck has always had motorcraft run through it except for this wix fuel filter obviously. Ford wanted over 37bucks for the lid. Didnt know if someone else carries it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well our big oil supplier carries motorcraft stuff and I get a discount. Thats why I use it. Plus my truck has always had motorcraft run through it except for this wix fuel filter obviously. Ford wanted over 37bucks for the lid. Didnt know if someone else carries it.

NAPA, Carquest, O'Reilly's AutoZone, Advance Auto.. they all should have it available.

the one with the lid attached is the super-cession part, however

and to the original poster, more likely than not the O-rings on the valve leak..

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
1055004626037363248S500x500Q85.jpg

Note the two o'rings with what appears to be paint on them. They are 1/2"OD X 1/4"ID and cost about .50 cents each.

Tbar

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

I bought this kit a couple of days ago. You save a TON of money. I just rebuilt my fuel bowl today. My drain valve assembly was leaking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58