Fuel leak

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching but found no relevant threads. I'm hoping my past success with this forum will prevail!
Pressurized leak coming from one of the lines coming out of the HPOP. It's the one that feeds into the driver's side bank. Questions... do I have to replace that whole braided line? or, as I'm assuming, can I just open that joint and replace an O-ring? Is that ring a certain material? I have some multi piece o-ring kits in the shop that say they are for petroleum but I'm concerned that it may require something like viton, etc.

Problem started after I hammered down on the throttle to get ahead of some traffic. Fuel spews all over the engine compartment and no amount of tightening the fitting has helped which tells me it's an O-ring issue.

Thanks for any help as always!

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll assume you meant oil leak vice fuel if it's coming from one of the HPOP lines. It depends on where the leak is coming from on what the fix would be. If it's at the hose-to-fitting joint, there is no o-ring there since it's a flared fitting and you might have to replace the hose, fitting, or both depending on the condition of the mating surfaces. If it's at the fitting-to-head joint, there's an o-ring there (and it should be Viton). Check the o-ring sealing surfaces to make sure there are no burrs, etc., lube the o-ring a little with oil and don't overtighten it. Part number:

O-ring for HPOP hose-to-head joint
(Ford) F4TZ-9N693-A, (International) 1815874C1

Cheers!

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sir it's fuel, it's all over the truck and watching the gauge plummet as I limped home was what we call a clue! Could very well be that it's not the HPOP I'm looking at. It has 2 braided lines coming out on the driver's side. Each leads to each side of the engine into the valve covers. They originate from just behind and below where the oil temp sensor plugs into the back of what I believe to be the resevoir for the HPOP.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the fuel return lines from each head to the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) on the driver's side of the fuel bowl. I know on my 94, the fittings on the FPR were NPT at the fitting-to-FPR joint (don't overtighten or you will crack the regulator!) and flare at the hose-to fitting. You may need to disconnect the hose to fitting and see if the surfaces are messed up. I don't know what's on the head ends of the hoses since I've never removed them. Cheers!

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I fell like the big idiot now, those are oil lines I was seeing. So I still don't know where the fuel leak is. It sure looked like it was spraying from one of those lines. Hard to tell when it's spewing fuel all over the place. Guess I'll be taking more stuff apart in the morning!

Last edited:

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel leak in any kind of vehicle is very dangerous, therefore this should be taken in time. Especially if you own a vehicle, then this should be taken cautiously. A small amount of leak can lead to dangers, which in turn can result in economic as well as financial turmoils.

Gewe ya' think! Thanks for all that info! Diesel isn't all that dangerous, it's made the whole undercarriage rust free though!

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes but the new ULSD is almost like water it seems! Try to use it to light fires with and it seems like it takes a blow torch to get it going! Sure has made a mess of my engine compartment too, dreading tackling that today.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your bowl drain valve possibly leaking? I know I forgot to close mine once after changing the filter. The fan blew fuel everywhere (a nice mess)! Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg