Fuel lubricity additives - what do the refineries use?

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen this question before, although there's a lot of discussion of fuel lubricity, or the lack thereof, of diesel fuel, especially ULSD.

What do refineries or distributors add to fuel to increase it's lubricity? Furthermore, can we buy it?

Thanks,

Al

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
it's not so much what they add to the fuel, it's how they wash the sulphur from it ...

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen this question before, although there's a lot of discussion of fuel lubricity, or the lack thereof, of diesel fuel, especially ULSD.

What do refineries or distributors add to fuel to increase it's lubricity? Furthermore, can we buy it?

Thanks,

Al
That indeed is a good question,what are they adding? I'm wondering if the green tint/hue in the fuel has anything to do with it?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
This is pure speculation but I believe they add nothing. If they did wouldn't they advertise it as Chevron advertises Techroline in their gasoline? With so many OBS fuel pumps failing on ULSD it tells me the fuel is dry. As far as the blue-green tinge, it has been in diesel for years...way before the introduction of ULSD.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just from my time in the Fuel Bidness but, Nothing is added, [Brand to Brand]. #2 ULSC Diesel is....... #2 ULSC Diesel.

It has to meet a Spec for the #2 grade such as.. API, Fed and some others. The Green (if any) is a dye, to identify it as Taxed fuel. Red dyed is for AG or off road use. ONLY.

The things to watch for are: How Fresh and how clean it is. Any fossil fuel can sour, and the older it is, the more particulates can be in it, and water.

Fuel at "Bubba's Dezel fer Cheap & Deli", has a good chance of being Both. A good chance for Water Too. And Algae Too.;)

' bout the best thing to do is buy fuel from a Major Brand Station or a Truck Stop. They do tighter QC and many/most pre-filter, before the sale point (nozzle) and have a good turn over (fresh).

Last edited:

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the refineries or distributors add something for lubrication, what do they use? Anyone know? They must use something because raw #2 doesn't meet ASTM spec for lubricity.

So what do they use?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Just from my time in the Fuel Bidness but, Nothing is added, [Brand to Brand]. #2 ULSC Diesel is....... #2 ULSC Diesel.

It has to meet a Spec for the #2 grade such as.. API, Fed and some others. The Green (if any) is a dye, to identify it as Taxed fuel. Red dyed is for AG or off road use. ONLY.QUOTE]

I was gonna say this exact thing...but i would argue that a dye is added..:stir:tounge

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58