fuel mileage

fredsford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Howdie, New member have 2000 f250 7.3 4x4 looking for ways to increase mileage. stock w/amsoil filter and fluids,superchip 6sp 3.73 gear super cab long bed getting around 16 hwy much worse when towing or hauling truck camper around 12 Any suggestions?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The biggest factor in fuel economy is your right foot. Pay careful attention to how you use the throttle. You should be getting 18 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. Oh, :welcome to SDD!

Dave ;tu

fredsford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, bought this truck new in 2000 primary use 80 mile I-81 round trip to farm,and more than a few trips out west, great truck just has always disappointed me on mileage, run it on cruise just shy of 2k rpm which is around 68mph+ never got 18mpg best 16 and change empty guess there's no magic bolt on. What are the new 6.7 getting real world? Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the 6.7. I have a stock 6.0 and the absolute best I have ever seen was 20.9 mpg doing 55 mph. I drive 70 most of the time and regularly see 18+.

Dave

Tman123

That One Guy
Reaction score
I don't know if ya'll would believe me on this but... the last time I filled up I got 24 MPG outa my 7.3 And almost all of the miles where around town. I regularly see any where 15 (on rare occasion) to 21 mpg. I don't drive much fast then 70 on the freeways. I mostly try to stay at 65 since that seemed to be my sweet spot before my oil change and new exhaust.

Travis

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 6.0 gets about 21 on the highway... my old 97 7.3 dually crew cab was lucky to get 12........on the highway...lol then again diesel was alot cheaper back then...lol

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Howdie, New member have 2000 f250 7.3 4x4 looking for ways to increase mileage. stock w/amsoil filter and fluids,superchip 6sp 3.73 gear super cab long bed getting around 16 hwy much worse when towing or hauling truck camper around 12 Any suggestions?

You can get better air filtration ,4 inch turbo back exhaust. These 2 will let the truck breath which will increase mpgs. If you have a little more $ you can get a tuner that will further increase mpgs if you don't haul ass with all the new power!:D

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get better air filtration ,4 inch turbo back exhaust. These 2 will let the truck breath which will increase mpgs. If you have a little more $ you can get a tuner that will further increase mpgs if you don't haul ass with all the new power!:D

MY 04 I found something out with the exhaust. I had problem trying to install the new down pipe and had to get on the road that day, so I put the stock down pipe in but cut it just before the bend to go to the back and welded the cat. flange back on then cut the flange off the cat. and mounted it to the reducer to the 5" exhaust then ran 5" out the back. I ended up with a BUTT LOAD of power. My truck was set the same as my buddy's truck, we had the same tuners from jody at DP tuners but the only thing was the down pipe. When DINO I was producing more power at less RPM then him and we had the same gears. Here is the craziest thing. My MPG on three different trips coming from Ohio to Florida was I got 28 MPG. Going up to ohio from florida was 23mpg. I know it sounds like BS but it's not. I wish I could have kept the truck but was worn out on fixing the HG every few months, the head were studded down with ARP studs and the black onx HG too. It was still lifting the heads off the block.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
MY 04 I found something out with the exhaust. I had problem trying to install the new down pipe and had to get on the road that day, so I put the stock down pipe in but cut it just before the bend to go to the back and welded the cat. flange back on then cut the flange off the cat. and mounted it to the reducer to the 5" exhaust then ran 5" out the back. I ended up with a BUTT LOAD of power. My truck was set the same as my buddy's truck, we had the same tuners from jody at DP tuners but the only thing was the down pipe. When DINO I was producing more power at less RPM then him and we had the same gears. Here is the craziest thing. My MPG on three different trips coming from Ohio to Florida was I got 28 MPG. Going up to ohio from florida was 23mpg. I know it sounds like BS but it's not. I wish I could have kept the truck but was worn out on fixing the HG every few months, the head were studded down with ARP studs and the black onx HG too. It was still lifting the heads off the block.

GEEZ! 28 would be great in any big ole truck. So basically if you put a 5" pipe on you will get more power than a 4" pipe?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14