Fuel Pressure Check Procedure

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been having some moderate issues that I believe to be related to fuel pressure. I am home for a while on leave and have access to all my old tools, but am still lacking in the PSD knowledge.

Where do you tap for a fuel pressure gauge to check for the desired 65-70 PSI?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Faceing the engine. On the upper back, Right side of the Fuel Filter Housing.. There is an un-used, threaded plug.. remove that plug and hook up a fuel pressure gauge there.

Start the engine..let it idle for a few minutes, to stabilize.. thats yer number. Stock.. these 7.3s seem to be anywhere between 40 & 55 ish, psi.

Wish I had the thread size handy... Maybe one of the others will jump in ??

Joe

(OBTW.. Welcome back to the "Land of the Round Doorknob" & "The BIG.. PX" ;tu:hail;tu)

And.. Thank You for going where you went.. And doing what ever you had to do.. For Freedom's sake. :clap::clap:

Last edited:

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to disappoint, but I've just been training so far. This is my first chance to take some time to see my family before the next wave of schools start, so I am back in Texas for a few days.

Truck reads 56 psi at idle and easy driving. Above 20 psi of boost in fourth gear fuel pressure dropped to 45 or so. I am going to interpret this as a solid stock pump and begin shimming for a bit more pressure at idle and low injection rates.

By the way, thread size on those two ports is #4.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to disappoint, but I've just been training so far. This is my first chance to take some time to see my family before the next wave of schools start, so I am back in Texas for a few days.

Truck reads 56 psi at idle and easy driving. Above 20 psi of boost in fourth gear fuel pressure dropped to 45 or so. I am going to interpret this as a solid stock pump and begin shimming for a bit more pressure at idle and low injection rates.

By the way, thread size on those two ports is #4.

Okay then.. Thank You for your Commitment.. to Freedom :lmao:lmao

56 psi static, is good.. it's the 45 psi under a demand that is, in a word, undesirable.

If you can get it to 65-70, at idle.. yul really appreciate the increase in overall performance. Yer "Cackel" will quiet down some, and the Idle will be smooother too.

Let us know yer results & immpressions ??

Joe

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I measured 62 psi at idle after one shim, so I set about putting a second one in hoping for around 68 psi. Sadly, the little housing broke while I was assembling it the second time.

The local Ford dealer wants fifty-seven dollars and change for it, and I am not excited in the least about paying that much for it.

Any suggestions on how to get one cheaper? DieselInnovations has a billet cap, but I haven't seen a functioning regulator for sale anywhere.

Last edited:

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did put in a second shim. The gauge I was using is only marked up to 60 psi, but judging by how far beyond 60 the needle swings, I am confident it is just under 70 psi at idle.

Impressions: The truck feels and sounds a little smoother while idling. The change is so slight that I would have thought I was imaging it in an unconscious attempt to justify my efforts had my buddy not noticed it as well.

I have yet to notice any difference with throttle response since I hardly ever put my foot into it. I do enjoy being able to report that what eco-ignorant people call a "massive truck" averages 18 miles per gallon of fuel.

If the "cackling" had been reduced, I cannot tell. I normally run two-stroke oil however, and that already cut down on said noise quite a bit.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did put in a second shim. The gauge I was using is only marked up to 60 psi, but judging by how far beyond 60 the needle swings, I am confident it is just under 70 psi at idle.

Impressions: The truck feels and sounds a little smoother while idling. The change is so slight that I would have thought I was imaging it in an unconscious attempt to justify my efforts had my buddy not noticed it as well.

I have yet to notice any difference with throttle response since I hardly ever put my foot into it. I do enjoy being able to report that what eco-ignorant people call a "massive truck" averages 18 miles per gallon of fuel.

If the "cackling" had been reduced, I cannot tell. I normally run two-stroke oil however, and that already cut down on said noise quite a bit.

:cool: Glad you saw some positive improvements. Most do... and thanks for the feedback.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl