Fuel pressure mod question

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I installed a fuel pressure regulator from Dieselsite. Bob's instructions recommend 65 psi, so that is where I set it. After driving it a day or two, I noticed the truck cranks longer when it is warm. Cold it starts just fine. I e-mailed Bob and he told me to try dropping rhe pressure to 60 psi. I did that, but it still cranks longer to start than it used to. I hear guys talking about running 70 psi. Do you guys have problems with long cranking at these pressures? Is it just one of the trade-offs of the higher fuel pressure?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno Mine has alwayz started better/faster since I bumped the FP up. Turns over maybe 3-5 licks, cold/warm.. fires right up.

Bob is much more of a Tech than I, but the IH folks all said 68/70 psi @ idle was the preferred psi.. so that's (70) what I shoot for, doing it with shims.

FWIW ? Mine idles at 70, cruises at 68, and 65+ under a load (towing).

Joe

(Fuel filters.. Batts & cable connections, good ??)

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel filter was installed same day as the regulator. Batterys are good and cable connections get cleaned on a regular basis. Truck cranks fine, just seems to crank longer before firing when the motor is warm compared to when it is cold. Never noticed it until I installed the regulator. I like having the higher fuel pressure. Maybe it is just something I have to live with. :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel filter was installed same day as the regulator. Batterys are good and cable connections get cleaned on a regular basis. Truck cranks fine, just seems to crank longer before firing when the motor is warm compared to when it is cold. Never noticed it until I installed the regulator. I like having the higher fuel pressure. Maybe it is just something I have to live with. :dunno

Depending on how much you drive yer truck, after a fuel filter change.. it may take awhile, to purge all the air out.. Or, the longer to start thing, as you say.. may be something you have to live with.

Have you done the pump inlet QD connection delete Mod ? Or any of the in-tank Mods ?

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Big Joe, I haven't done any of the other fuel supply mods. Was thinking about doing the pump inlet, but didn't want to do the intank mods until I had to drop the tank for something else. I usually don't let the tank get below half, so I don't thing I suck to much air inside the tank. I've got almost 1000 miles on the truck since the filter change and regulator install, so the air should all be purged out by now. :dunno I turned the pressure back up to 65 psi today. Starts right up cold, but when warm, it still seems to me it spins over a few more times before it fires. I like the way it runs with the increase in pressure, so I think I will just live with it for now. Thanks for the help. The amount of good info here is always appreciated. :hail

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14