Fuel pump -OR- clogged tank pickup?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I had my fuel pump replaced two days ago and all was fine. Today I started on my rear tank of B50 and all was fine. I switched to the front tank of veggie oil and all was fine. When I switched back to the rear tank the truck lost power and started to shake so I pulled off the road. Thinking that my fuel filter was clogged I opened the black lid, but noticed a small vacuum as I unscrewed the lid. The bowl was just about empty. So I'm thinking it could be one of two problems, the new fuel pump is bad (the engine is sucking fuel from the bowl but it is not refilling from the tank) or the fuel pump is good but there is gunk on the rear tank fuel pickup so the bowl won't refill. Could it be something else?

My last fuel pump lasted for 70K which I realize is a short life span BUT I run veggie oil so I'm OK with it. Having a fuel pump for less than 48 hours is unacceptable. :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant

Fortunately I had it towed back to the shop tonight which will be open on Labor Day so they will get on it in the a.m. It just feels better to vent. :cussing: :rant

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richard sorry to hear about your problem. Don't really have a much on this issue but I am going to go with that you got a faulty pump. Even though the odds are high. When I order stuff, I seem to sometimes get the faulty parts. Which is ok because it get me us to dignosing problems. Hope they find the problem tomorrow.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I wonder if you are having issues similar to what I did a couple months ago. My symptom was fuel starvation due to clogged pickup tubes from the junk in the tanks. Have you ever had your tanks cleaned?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I wonder if you are having issues similar to what I did a couple months ago. My symptom was fuel starvation due to clogged pickup tubes from the junk in the tanks. Have you ever had your tanks cleaned?

I'm hoping that's my problem (masochistic thought). The front tank (veggie oil) was cleaned in May '06 during the SVO installation but my rear tank has never been cleaned. Thinking back to a few days ago, I may have purchased some bad B20 which may be the cause.

Last edited:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Update
My truck is still down. :rant They got it started but it runs rough and dies. They checked the fuel lines for obstructions. None. They put a pressure gauge on the schrader valve but there was no pressure...it kept dying. They are a general diesel shop with limited '94-'97 PSD knowledge and they don't want to install another fuel pump UNLESS they have ruled out everything else. Any suggestions? Have any of you had a bad NEW IN BOX fuel pump?

Nazty 4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they verify it doesnt run off both tanks or just one? Are your fuel tank vents clogged? That would create a suction. Try starting it with the fuel cap off. Did they try do undo the lines on the drivers side of the block and blow air back to the tank?
good luck.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Nazty, They can't check the problem with my front tank because it's 100% veggie oil which can only be used once the engine is fully warm. Starting on veggie oil will foul my injector nozzles by coking them. My rear tank has B20 and it's for start up and shut down.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nazty, They can't check the problem with my front tank because it's 100% veggie oil which can only be used once the engine is fully warm. Starting on veggie oil will foul my injector nozzles by coking them. My rear tank has B20 and it's for start up and shut down.
Have them try using a separate fuel supply ,out of a 5 gallon fuel can....

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Update:
Get a call from the shop owner that they have it running and I should come by to pick it up. It has only been nine days since I dropped it off. :rolleyes: . There was blockage in the fuel line between the fuel selector valve and the fuel pump so they blew out the turd with compressed air. Fixed? I thought so but on my way home the problem recurred. Fuel blockage and I was stranded again but I used up my AAA tows for the year last week. So I called the shop owner who came by and loaned me one of his shop trucks and had mine towed back to his shop on his AAA card. The good news is that the fuel pump is registering 48 lbs. I HOPE THAT'S WITHIN NORMAL RANGE! (I hope I hope). So tomorrow they will syphon all the bad fuel and clean the rear tank.

Thanks Rick (action4478) for your phone number. I know he never called you.
Peter, What did they charge you for a tank cleaning?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58