Question Fuel Pump replacment

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a write up for replacement of fuel pump but I found it hence the edit.....took me awhile.

Anyway they (Dealership) have not given me a quote yet but I doubt I will be able to stomach it. Off the top of his head he quoted me 200 for the fuel pump and said it would take about 5 hours labor...holy smokes!!! At dealership labor rates that is over 500 for what I could do it for 100 and a couple late nights. Not to mention I have never gone to a stealership before and I'm not about to start...but I HAVE to have my truck leak free by this Saturday.

I might be back on here with a couple of questions. A lot of catch up maintenance (Brakes, Ball joints, fuel system, tires comming, overall cosmetics). Lots do after this last deployemnt and good to be back on the forum (took a break for other projects)...they never end.

Last edited:

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i have seen our pumps get taken out of the truck in 5 minutes... you may need to trim down your turbo pedistal to get more room to move your wrench, but i was able to do mine with out trimming the pedistal. just take out the fuel bowl, get the wrench to fit the banjo bolt on the back of the fuel pump(can't remember the size anymore) and take off the banjo bolt, unbolt the pump from the valley and pull it straight up. be careful with it though. you don't want the plunger to come outta there... never had it happen, just heard of it happening before.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stok'n Stash...man you have come a long way on your truck...Awesome man.

Glad to hear it is a relatively easy job. I don't want to spend more than a couple nights getting it running.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford will give you the "book" time it takes (the 5 hours) even if it takes less. The factory manual calls for removing the turbo which isn't necessary. I had one replaced while I was out on vacation and it cost me $850 fror diagnosis and repair. I had no choice then (I have replaced these pumps numerous times), but now I carry the tools and a spare pump ($79 for pump and free labor ... much cheaper). Cheers!

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its not too bad although I think 5mins is a load of b.s unless the motors sitting on the floor and you don't care how you rip stuff off. just take your time maybe the hardest part is the banjo nolt in the back and the most nerve racking part is getting the old pump off with out dropping the plunger

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just heard that it might be a bit more of a pain if you I have a Cali truck....which of course I believe I do.

Mentioned that I might have to take off the turbo becuase of the flying saucer. I thought the flying saucer was always the fuel pump itself. Is it the Bosh disc in the front of the pump (closer to the firewall) that is the actual difference. If that is the case I beleive I might be ok.

But the fuel pumps are the same are they not. I hope so as I already ordered it at Advanced Auto.

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleive the pumps are the same but calis had a pulse dampener I think to try and help queit the truck or some nonsense and yes I've heard that you have to pull the turbo because with that dampener on there you can't get to the 1 1/4" banjo nut

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
the cali trucks has the pulse damper to make the fuel pressure more steady. if you have ever sat and watched the fuel pressure with these pumps it spikes a whole bunch. definitely not a steady stream of pressure, but apparently the cali trucks don't surge the fuel pressure near as bad. not sure if you need to take your turbo off. never worked on a cali truck, but i also heard you have to.

93turbo_animal, its really awesome what one can do with air tools and a job that he has done probably a million times. my buddy that has been working for ford as a diesel mechanic(and actually knows his stuff) since before these trucks were made can and will get our pumps out in 5 minutes and swap our turbos in 45 minutes. its all repetitive

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I do not have a pulse dampner so that made life really nice.

I can't beleive Ford was going to charge me 4-5 hours for this job. I can't beleive they charged someone 850 for this job. I never got an actual quote from them.

I took my time and I did it in an hour. It only cost me the 115 for the pump and I had some 3/8 tube here.

I ended up grinding about an 1/8th inch arch out of the pedestal then blew out the area. The wrench fit in fine and came right off. Used my hands after that. Never took off the fuel filter canister...just took off the bolts and tilted it back to replace the fuel line. Putting the banjo bolt in was a cake walk. Went right in and threaded right on.

The hardest part of the whole operation was getting the tubes from the turbo back on.

Dealerships are out of there minds. No wonder Ford didn't need any of their bailout money...they had already robbed Americans of their good hard earned money...now I can't really blame them though...business is business and if it was mine I guess I would do the same thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58