Fuel Pump shim to 70

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
I have no idea what this mod is:dunno . I assume it's boosting the puel preesure up. Is it a difficult mod? Should I do this since I am considering adding the ITP fuel regulator system?

Thanks in advance...:thanks

JD99PSD

power stroke newbie
Reaction score
I too wondered about that mod, I have seen it in a couple peoples' signitures on the bottom of their posts.

Some one please fill us in!

Jason

dpantazis

Reaction score
sonicstang said:
what are the plus to this mob, looks simple to do.
From the WIKI article-
"Why do it: FOMOCO has an "Acceptable" fuel pressure of 50 to 60 psi, for a 7.3 PSD.
IH recommends 65 to 70 psi, for optimum injector performance. "

there is a point of diminishing returns though, setting FPR beyond 70 does not get you much.
reputed to aid in better MPG and 'performance'
OEM regulator is simply a spring, no damper. think bouncy ride from bad shocks.

regulated return is best because the regualator will smooth out the pulses in the fuel pressure, think good shock absorber makes for a cadillac ride.

dennis

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
welcome to the place to be
White Buffalo.
i ran the external regulated fuel pressure set up inspired by Hutch, for 50k plus miles, i probably had more miles on this mod than anyone hereat the time i removed it.
i played with FP from 40-80 psi
my 02 liked 65-70
idled quieter and with less shakey shakey, felt perkier, better off idle snap, would only cackle or ding ping at fuel levels below 1/4 tank, i never harpooned the tank, mpg was maybe 1 mpg gain if that. I did however change fuel filters more often for piece of mind, becuase a ton more fule gets refiltered with it modded
i had zero fuel related failures from this mod, and it worked so good that when we got the boss, rooster and i arranged for it to go on his truck.
would i do it again? YES
if your handy you can build your own set up, or you can get one from a vendor,
either way its an easy afternoon of fun and the end result is worth the time spent under the hood.
i ran braided SS line with aeroquip fittings, A. for looks and B for longevity.
i have been toying with putting a simliar set up on the 6.0 now :eek: the mod bug is biting me again

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
If you put your hand on one of the regulated return hoses you can really feel the pulses!!!

I have had the first generation JNB/ITTP regulated fuel system since April 2003 and now have 83,000 miles on this mod. I love it as it makes for quiter/smoother operation of the 7.3 engine.

With that said while the latest revision of the ITP fuel return system is a much more refined product it does involve 5-6hrs to install. The shim mod will get your fuel pressure up but won't help relieve the dead ended common fuel rail of air bubbles.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14