fuel sender and gauge operation?

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Just wondering how the fuel gauge circuit worked. Ever since I sent my cluster off to have the psom reset my fuel gauge is goofy. Fill it up and it reads empty by 160 miles, but doesn't try to run out of fuel till about 330 miles. It is inaccurate to say the least. Does roughly the same thing on either tank.
Something as simple as a bad ground for the instrument cluster or is my gauge screwed up? Or any other ideas?
I refuse to believe it is in the tanks, as both tanks are doing this. Only thing common to both is something to do with the gauge.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Doubt it's the sender too. Probably the gauge. I'm not sure on these trucks, but likely there is a resistor in series somewhere to drop the voltage to the gauge as well, 5v being common going to the sender. Whether the gauge reads full at high voltage or low, I don't know. Find the wire to the sending units, and try it open and grounded briefly, and see what the gauge does.

The tank switching for the gauges happens at the 6 port valve, not the switch. So if it's wiring related could go all the way back there...

I'd guess since you were in the cluster that something happened there tho.

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
JOAT said:
I'd guess since you were in the cluster that something happened there tho.

I think so too, I wonder if it got banged around a little in shipping to Tacoma Speedometer. Don't know, I'll investigate sometime, for now I just finished building my injectors, all I can say is WOW and that is only a superchips tuner and 160cc's, I can't imagine trucks like TUBZZ.:burnit :burnit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58