Fuel Sending Unit or Dash Cluster?

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day I was driving my diesel Excursion and noticed I was at about 3/4 of a tank. Plus I always keep track of my mileage every fill up. Well I got to where I was going and then on my way home I noticed the gauge said full. Well I put close to 300 miles on it since then and it is still saying full. I'm guessing it is the sending unit. I know damn well it isn't the diesel fairy filling up my tank every morning but it would be a nice thought! :lmao I am going to fill the truck up this morning, maybe it will fix it, maybe it is stuck. I don't know how they work but I hope it's not hard to change. I think changing the sending unit would be easier than pulling the dash apart. Any ideas would help and how you made out with your situation would give me some insight. Thanks in advance.

Note: Just did some research on some official Ford part sites I like to use Bowen Scarff Ford out in Washington. They always give me the best prices even though I live in New Jersey. However, I found nothing on the sending unit. I don't know what tells the gauge whats in the tank but there was nothing named remotely close to what would send the gauge a signal to what the level of the fuel is in the tank. Again any ideas would be great.

Smithereen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Had my dads truck have the guage at full all the time. So I pulled the tank and found the float was stuck up in the opening for the pick up sending unit.:eek: Reinstalled and everything was good. I did check the operation before I put it back and the guage responded properly.:sweetRemember that there is a delay on the guage. I think the fuel in the tank sloshed enough to flip the float in that position.;tu

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If memory serves me right you can diagnose the fuel sending unit by checking resistance

Ford's use 240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I hope to check this stuff out this weekend. I never got a chance to refill the tank this weekend because I never drove it so hopefully by next weekend.

Sportsnutim

Sportsnutim
Reaction score
Fuel gage sending unit

I have this same problem except my F-250 is stuck almost all the time at empty. I had the sending unit checked and it is fine. I am guessing it is the gage itself. What I can't figure out is why aren't the other gages acting up? About changing the cluster is my concern. Sportsnutim

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'll be flat honest with you guys...
I replace an absolute buttload of sending units.. I haven't replaced a dash gauge since the Dodge Omni

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl