fuel system questions/upgrades?

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well... went to fill my truck up today and unfortunately, the fuel guage never came back up. after "gently" beating on the tank, it came up some but wont read anything more than 1/2 tank. i know its full cause i had to pay twice since the pump quit at 75 bucks the first time and topped it off the second time. plus the pitch of the sound when beating on it resembles a full tank.

my questions are: where can i get a sending unit for a decent price? called ford and they wanted 392 plus tax and change for it. should i consider a pre tank filter kit now? who should i get it from? i like the pre pump filter kit from itp but they sell a reg. return kit for 549 while d.i. sells one for 449. any actual difference besides price?

if im gonna have to mess with the fuel system, im gonna do as much as possible now. i still have stock injectors so a fass pump kit to me isnt needed right now. let me know what yall think. thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While yer doing the tank stuff, be sure and snip off the vent tube and do the pick-up tube Mods. Also, take a 1&5/8" hole saw and cut out the restrictor thingy in your fill pipe. Makes fill-ups a snap.

Talk with the Site Vendors >on the phone<, then make yer choice on what to do. They are all.. Straight Shooters.

Just My .03:dunno

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. i do appreciate it. will have to look into the fill pip thingy. when i do the sending unit, i will definetly do the pick up mod. fill ups dont take too long so dont know if i will fuss with the fill pip mod. dunno. well see.

Tenn01PSD350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Bet the sender is working right by now eh? As for the filler pipe hole, if you do drop the tank, knock out the restricter in the tube while you are there. Ever stopped at a truck stop? The big truck diesel pumps will not fit in the small fillers unless opened up. Now wouldn't that feel foolish?

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as the sending unit, it slowly made its way back to full while driving down the roadafter about 40 miles. and of course goes down as i drive as expected. will see what it does next time i fill up.

as far as the filling up thing, never had a prob filling up. used to travel back and forth from wyoming to texas and texas to kentucky a lot. love stopping at big truck stops mainly due to they serve awesome food. never had a prob filling up. being able to fill up in 1 minute versus a 3 or 4 fill up doesnt bother me. it gives me a chance to take a whizz, check my tire pressures, clean out the trash my wife and baby collect, get something to drink, etc. or even better just a chance to stretch my legs from a long trip.

to each his own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg