fuel system upgrade

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
i was looking for info on what people have done to get rid of the fuel filter setup and lift pump on the obs powerstrokes. i dont want to spend 1200 bucks on something i can do for half the price or even cheaper. when i have access to most of the stuff to switch it over. was looking to put electric pump maybe off newer super duty. or find a good aftermarket pump i can make my own filter setup on the frame rail. but not sure how i was gonna do the regulator and and hoses on the engine it self. just trying to get it figured out and get the parts i need to do it before i tear into it. thanks for any info.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you have the right idea in how to do it. The first question is why are you looking to get rid of the mechanical pump are you fuel limited for power?

When I sat down and calculated the costs to build it myself I came within a few hundred bucks of what bean wants for all of the pieces and a plug and play kit with a super duty pump or if you wanted 2 SD pumps for more flow.

The basic design for retrofit of an electric pump to the OBS is tank to selector switch to pump to splitter to front of each head from back of each head to regulator to return line.

Here is quick math from memory kit is roughly 1k from bean

fuel pump 150-300+ depending on quality & mfg quality ones in the 250 range
regulator 150-200
filter block - 50
filters - 30
high pressure diesel rated hose - $4/ft
miscellaneous fittings - $50

Last edited:

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
basically is to get rid of all the extra junk on top of the engine cause it all leaks. the pump is starting to leak so i am gonna have to replace it soon anyways. and i like the way it looks with out that stuff on the top. i can pretty much get everything for free or at a discount. the advantage of working on deisels every day.

Cratos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
witch e-bay I got a new SD pump for 100.00 reg for 75.00 if your not in a hurry you can save a ton

aaklingler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you have the right idea in how to do it. The first question is why are you looking to get rid of the mechanical pump are you fuel limited for power?

When I sat down and calculated the costs to build it myself I came within a few hundred bucks of what bean wants for all of the pieces and a plug and play kit with a super duty pump or if you wanted 2 SD pumps for more flow.

The basic design for retrofit of an electric pump to the OBS is tank to selector switch to pump to splitter to front of each head from back of each head to regulator to return line.

Here is quick math from memory kit is roughly 1k from bean

fuel pump 150-300+ depending on quality & mfg quality ones in the 250 range
regulator 150-200
filter block - 50
filters - 30
high pressure diesel rated hose - $4/ft
miscellaneous fittings - $50

Is there a reason to go into the front of the head and out the back?

A trick that I have seen is to use the lines going to the back of the heads and adapt the banjo bolt to a hose barb.

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
yeah i checked out a few places for a kit and no way im paying that much for one i can do myself for alot less

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
Is there a reason to go into the front of the head and out the back?

A trick that I have seen is to use the lines going to the back of the heads and adapt the banjo bolt to a hose barb.

Yes you can do something like this from Tim´s write up:
In this photo, assembled from left to right are; 1) –12 SAE O-ring to ¾” Male NPT adaptor, 2) ¾” NPT Female to ½” NPT Female adaptor, and 3) ½” NPT to 3/8’ hose barb adaptor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58