Fuel Tank

flyguy51

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 F-250 PSD and it seems like the fuel gauge is progressively becoming more and more inaccurate. As an example the other day it showed that I had not even used a full quarter of a tank. When I topped off the tank I put nearly 15 gallons in. I only have a 30 gallon tank so how can this be. If any one has suggestions or thoughts about having the dealer try to do something or do I need to consider after market guages? I'd appreciate the input.

There is another thing I want to ask about. Since the temperature it has been going into the single digits at night lately when I've started the engine in the morning I hear a sound that is like fluid running through a tube. This noise only lasts until the engine has warmed a little. I use my block heater religously and do so when the temperature at night starts going below about 30 degrees.

One last question: I've heard that gasoline is more highly refined than diesel and if that is true why is diesel more expensive?

Thanks for this great forum. I've learned so much and wouldn't think about making a major change to my truck with out consulting the forum.

Flyguy

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the swooshing noise is normal its part of the beck pressure stratergy that helps warm up the engine a bit faster,

the fuel gauge, could be many things
junk built up in the tank and messing with the float sensor, do you use any additiive or antigelling stuff like powerservice?

i would geuss at some crud and gelled fuel causing erratic readings

when did you change the fuel filters last? and were they nasty or just normal gray dirty?
you may have to send a tube down in the tank and take a sample of the lower fuel to see if its full of gunk...

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think diesel is up because of the demand for heating oil right now. I wouldn't be suprised if it dropped below gasoline during the summer again.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think diesel is up because of the demand for heating oil right now. I wouldn't be suprised if it dropped below gasoline during the summer again.

you are actually correct..
matter of fact, I'm seeing it start to moderate.
I paid $3.40/gallon at one of the more expensive places in the area the other night, $.30 cheaper than what I had been paying.. and I found it a dime less 5 miles up the road...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score

That is correct.

Come Feb - March, you will likely see diesel drop in price noticeably once the weather starts to warm up and the demand for heating oil drops. It happens every year at the end of winter.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in Florida, they will stick it to all year. I was told diesel is the by product of making gas. Is this right?? When I was in the fuel tanker buss. I as this and never got the same one answers 2 times in a row.

flyguy51

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fuel Guage Accuracy

I am not sure about the use of fuel additives or antigeling stuff. When I ask the dealer about those kinds of things they tell me that there not necessary and don't bother but I read the forums and it seems like a lot of people do use them. So far my engine runs fine without additives and aside from the inaccurate fuel guage readings that I'm getting there doesn't seem to be a problem.

If I do decide to go with additives which ones are good? I know that everyone has an oppinion on the subject but I could use a little guidance. What are the pluses and minuses of using the fuel and antigeling additives and ultomatly will they help my engine run better and longer?

Thanks

Flyguy

VALKYRIES

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fuel

Don't know what key I just hit but it cancelled everything I was writing. typing. Well for what I know gas is the end product of everything else that is made for a barrel of crude.Was told that they should be paing us to take it off of thier hands. It is the old supply and demand they have it and we need it for lifes nessecities of going to work and others. Speeking of fuel gelling had and interesting experience today was pouring diesel in to the backhoe from a fuel container and it was pulling a vacuum and not pulling air through the vent hole. Never seen that one before! No wonder I drilled most of mine out to 5/16" the rest I will drill to 3/8". No time to waste for fueling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58