Fuel Water Seperator.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Here's the deal, Dads' late 99' is leaking fuel. He says it is the seperator, I haven't seen it but I believe him. What is the fix for this? Whole new fuel bowl, or can you just replace the orings in the valve? He needs it fixed by this weekend, so help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was leaking fuel onetime real bad, it was due to a ripped o-ring on the fuel filter cap. when the truck was running it would spray from the fuel filter cap. just replaced the fuel filter and that was that.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Got Diesel said:
Here's the deal, Dads' late 99' is leaking fuel. He says it is the seperator, I haven't seen it but I believe him. What is the fix for this? Whole new fuel bowl, or can you just replace the orings in the valve? He needs it fixed by this weekend, so help would be appreciated. Thanks
It really depends on where the leak is coming from. 9 times out of 10, it is going to be down around the drain, with bad O-rings you can get for a few bucks at blackcloud.

Other times, the BIG o-ring on the cap is put in upside down, and it leaks. This only happens right after you just replaced it incorrectly. If he hasn't been messing with it, then that isn't it. The big o-ring can also tear, but again, this is usually a function of having just taken it off and put it back on without caution.

Other times, the entire casting fractures and it leaks. This happens usualy when the regulator is set at too high of a pressure, or if you got unlucky enough to get a bad casting from Ford.

If it is not leaking really badly, my money is on drain o-rings. You can find out real easy-like if you look at the back of the bowl at the drain location, and see if it the leak is coming from that location.

Good luck on the fix. I hope it it just an o-ring!

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Thanks, he his picking up the o-rings tonight and I am gonna change it out for him later on. It's not the filter o-rings, believe it's the drain valve. We will see.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Got Diesel said:
Thanks, he his picking up the o-rings tonight and I am gonna change it out for him later on. It's not the filter o-rings, believe it's the drain valve. We will see.

When I replaced the whole drain lever assembly (yellow lever, didn't think about just getting o-rings) I was able to do it on the truck with a small ratchet and philips bit from my screw gun...I believe I wrote something about it on this web-site.....

It was pretty easy, just a pain to reach.

DZL_X_4x4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58