Help Needed fumes in cab,low power

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I expected leak in the Y pipe or expansion joints, but when I finally got around to hooking up my boost leak detector from Dieselsite. I found a major leak coming from the back corner of the driver side valve cover(rocker carrier cover)closest to the y-pipe. The dealer has replaced this once before when they installed new heads,gaskets,studs about 30k.miles ago. I'm wondering if I'll have any luck tightening the back few cover bolts, or do I need to remove everything and replace gasket? or is it sealant(or both)? Torque on these bolts? Anybody had this problem before?

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I just realized my mistake. I hooked the boost leak detector to the section of intake attached to the turbo and not directly to the turbo! What an amatuer! Anyway, I learned that my rocker covers can hold about 5 p.s.i. because after tightening up one side and then repressurizing.... the other cover started to leak,as well as the other side that I just tightened down. Is this right; that they only hold 5psi.? I'm going out now and hooking up leak detector directly to turbo and start over; fingers crossed! It's very tight back there around that y-pipe,expansion joints.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I'm now confident that I have no boost leaks after fixing a couple minor boot leaks. Soapy water spray helped a lot to find them, as well as a mechanics mirror to see under them. But I still have either exhaust or crankcase smell getting into cab. I believe the dealer uses a smoke machine for this diagnoses but does anyone know a way I can find the leak myself? I was thinking of hooking up the boost leak detector to the tailpipe(cold)and pressurizing and listening for leaks. Any thoghts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58