Funny dealer service story...

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of happy that the service department at the Ford dealer here in town is a bunch of semi-competent boobs, since every time I take my truck there (next closest Ford dealer is ~60 miles away :eek: ), they screw something up and I get free parts/service.

Monday night on my way home from class I was cruising down the road at a steady speed and all of a sudden, my truck (2002 PSD, ZF6, with just shy of 49K on the odometer) started bucking, jerking, and the tach needle started jumping. Alright, I said, the CPS is on it's way out--not a problem, cuz I've got a spare. So the next morning on my way into work, the same thing happened, but for a shorter time--it was almost like the engine hiccuped but then kept going. I made it into work OK, but left a little early to go make a service appointment. They couldn't get me into the schedule until Wednesday morning and yesterday when I dropped it off, on the "Service Requested" part of the check-in form they use, I added "service transfer case and FRONT differential". IMO, that was pretty clear which pumpkin I wanted serviced (I've got a Mag-Hytec cover and Amsoil syn fluid on the way so I can service the rear diff myself). Welllllll--when I went to pick the truck up yesterday afternoon, the invoice said "R/R CMP sensor (I expected that), Service transfer case/refill with synthetic Motorcraft fluid (ditto), and Service Rear differential/2WD." What the heck, says I, for one, my truck is 4WD, and I wanted the FRONT diff fluid swapped out. The service writer (same guy I normally deal with) went and talked to his manager (the guy who actually entered the "Service Requested" form into the computer system the techs use) and at least the manager fessed up and admitted that he goofed by writing to service the rear diff and not the front one.

To make things right, they told me I can drop the truck off any time and they'll service the front pumpkin for free, since they made the mistake of servicing the wrong part. Mind you, they did a good job, just not on the part I wanted. This actually works out better, since I'll run everything to 60K, then change out ALL the gearbox fluids (front diff, trannny, T-case, rear diff) and then they'll all be on the same maintenance schedule. Admittedly, it's a bit of a waste, but there is value in not having to remember four different mileages at which I'll have to service each gearbox separately.

ISurvivedNMU

Reaction score
So, did you have to pay for the rear diff service? I have that same thing with the Chevy dealership I deal with on my wifes Tahoe.... Most has been warranty issues, but I asked to have the front diff changed over to syn... and the rear got done...

The time is the only thing I hate about it... Just getting there and getting a ride back suxs

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ISurvivedNMU said:
So, did you have to pay for the rear diff service?quote]

I paid for it, but since the cost for servicing the front and rear diffs is the same, they'll do the front for free.

ISurvivedNMU said:
The time is the only thing I hate about it... Just getting there and getting a ride back suxs

Not a problem for me--with the ESP Warranty I've got, I get a rental car when my truck is in for service. :thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58