Fuse replacement question.

Katomike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
For some reason my wife thought that starting my 2008 Super Duty required putting the key in the cigarette lighter. Needless to say, this blew the fuse.

I know the fuse location (power distribution box under the hood) but the Owner's Manual says to disconnect the battery before replacing fuses in the power distribution box...is it necessary with the cigarette lighter fuse? Better to be safe than sorry?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason my wife thought that starting my 2008 Super Duty required putting the key in the cigarette lighter. Needless to say, this blew the fuse.

I know the fuse location (power distribution box under the hood) but the Owner's Manual says to disconnect the battery before replacing fuses in the power distribution box...is it necessary with the cigarette lighter fuse? Better to be safe than sorry?

Because of what occured to blow the fuse (a direct short), I would dis-connect the batterys.

And, if the key is one of those Smart Keys.. I would replace it.. also.

Yul probably loose all your pre-sets (radio stations ect.) but as You said:

Better To be safe Than Sorry.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am going to disagree with my friend, Big Joe, and say that as long as the key is NOT still in the lighter socket, you should be OK to replace the fuse without disconnecting the battery. If you still want to disconnect the battery, go ahead and disconnect it. Your truck...

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you would disconnect the batteries:dunno. I never disconnect them when I'm replacing the fuses and never had a problem from doing so.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to disagree with my friend, Big Joe, and say that as long as the key is NOT still in the lighter socket, you should be OK to replace the fuse without disconnecting the battery. If you still want to disconnect the battery, go ahead and disconnect it. Your truck...

Dave

;);tu

I don't see why you would disconnect the batteries:dunno. I never disconnect them when I'm replacing the fuses and never had a problem from doing so.

And ;);tu

I seldom do either, but because the short blew a [Boss Fuse], in the PDB.... I shur don't wanabe the member that told Katomike: Yah, Go ahead'n swap it out... No Big deal. ;):):lmao

This is one of them.. To each His/Her Own deals.. I guess.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;);tu

And ;);tu

I seldom do either, but because the short blew a [Boss Fuse], in the PDB.... I shur don't wanabe the member that told Katomike: Yah, Go ahead'n swap it out... No Big deal. ;):):lmao

:lmao...aint there a disclaimer.

x2

dpantazis

Reaction score
pull the battery.

its kind of like messing around in the center of the brain, one slipup and you potentially fry a whole bunch of controllers and computers.

dp

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think what they're getting at, is making sure whatever caused the fuse to blow is not still shorted. We know what shorted, the lighter socket.
So, I would:
pull the neg terminals
remove the lighter socket
replace the fuse
hook the batteries back up
replace (with a new one) the lighter socket
dunno about the passkey.. if it starts the truck..

;);tu

And ;);tu

best advice I've ever seen anyone give.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
but most everyone else would cram a new fuse in it and go about their business

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
pull the battery.

its kind of like messing around in the center of the brain, one slipup and you potentially fry a whole bunch of controllers and computers.

dp

I would normally agree, but a slipup in this comartment is hard to achieve. The only metal (electrical) exposure there is, is the male plugs on the bottom (recessed) of the fuse holder. The fuses have the recessed female plugs on them too, so go ahead and drop it in the fuse panel, i'm 95% sure it won't short anything. I think they only way damage will be done changing this particular fuse (i've done it) is if you drop a hand-full of loose wires on top of the fuse holder - or soldering directly above it. You would even be hard pressed to do damge then imo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim