Garage ceiling storage question

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
OK, so like everyone else I have zero room in my garage, and dont like putting stuff in the crawl space.My garage is finished in and I would like to know if anyone had any ideas for like a do it yerself setup for creating shelving overhead.Theres a cutout to go up above the garage, but thatd take a lot more work and closing in.Any info,ideas, pics, and so on appreciated.

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Put a shelf across the front wall. Start at a level that is just above the hood of the car/truck and work your way up. I would take a picture of mine but you can't see it right now due to the garage currently being set up as a woodshop. I have also built a work bench under it since we only park the Jetta in the garage. My shelf is 3 feet deep. Framed with 2x6 across the front to span the width of a car. 2x4 screwed to the wall (studs) and more 2x4 between the front and back of the shelf. To support the end not attached to the wall I used another piece of 2x6 at a 45 degree angle between the bottom of the shelf end and a wall stud. Hope this helps without pics.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
depending on how your rafters run, you could lay some 1/2" plywood or OSB down and secure it to the joists, then build a couple of knee-walls along the sides, like the upstairs in a Cape Cod, use 3/8" OSB or sheathing up the sides to close it in, and then use one of those pull-down staircases for access (hell of a lot safer than a rickety stepladder)...

should take you about a weekend depending on how handy you are..

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how high is the ceiling in your garage. That'll play a big deal in how you go about creating storage in your garage.

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
I think the ceiling is a little over 10 foot.I aint to handy with wood, but do ok with everything else.I would love to use the extra space above the ceiling but Id have top close off the house side and then try and cover everything, its a giant insualtion explosion up there,lol.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
depending on how your rafters run, you could lay some 1/2" plywood or OSB down and secure it to the joists, then build a couple of knee-walls along the sides, like the upstairs in a Cape Cod, use 3/8" OSB or sheathing up the sides to close it in, and then use one of those pull-down staircases for access (hell of a lot safer than a rickety stepladder)...

should take you about a weekend depending on how handy you are..

X2. Exactly what I did.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
I found a couple of metal cage panels (kinda like chain-link fence with a metal frame around it) that I suspended from the ceiling. I hung it over the overhead door tracks so that you don't even see it when the garage door is open.

My neighbor liked it so much he did the same!

This is almost exactly what my overhead storage looks like. My ceiling is also 10'
Steel cage panels

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I put 3/4" plywood in my attic and completely covered the area over the garage. Lots and lots of junk up there.......out of site.......out of mind.

I put some metal utility shelves up around the walls(with the lip up) to get stuff up off the floor........works great but now I have more stuff on the floor. lol

ClosetMaid 6 Ft. x 12 In. Shelf & Rod Shelf Kit - 1065 at The Home Depot

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14