Garage Door Remote

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a really dumb question but I can't get a decisive answer from Ford.

Does anyone know if the 2011 garage door remote can function without the key in the ignition?

My concern is, I park in front of my house, if someone were to break into my truck, will the remote provide them access to my house? Or does the key need to be in the ignition?

OR!!!

Does locking the truck disable the remote? Meaning, once it's locked, if it's broken into, is everything disabled.

NO ONE could answer this question at the dealership so they let me look it up in the owner's manual, which stated...

The key "MAY" need to be in the accessory position in order to program or use the remote. (I think it was on page 108.)

"MAY" need to be in the accessory position ALSO means it may not have to be in the accessory position.

Roland_Jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good question and I don't have a definitive answer for you. I can appreciate your concern. I myself live in a trailer and don't have a garage. In fact a 2011 Ford superduty would look out of place in my driveway.

My guess is, like all things that are disabled when the key is removed, they could be enabled by a knowledgeable thief.

Fine69

Reaction score
I know on my 09 F350 and my Wife's 07 Expedition, which both have the garage door opener buttons, they work whether the key is in or out, doesn't matter. I highly doubt Ford had any reason to change going to the 2011. The key does need to be in and on to program the buttons.

Last edited:

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm not really worried about a "knowledgeable thief", if a knowledgeable thief wanted in my garage or house, I doubt they would go through my truck to get into the garage or house. We've had a series of stupid car break ins around the neighborhood. I think they are either kids or guys looking for a quick theft. What I worry about is someone like this getting into my garage. If nothing else, the loss of my tools would be pretty devastating!

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know on my 09 F350 and my Wife's 07 Expedition, which both have the garage door opener buttons, they work whether the key is in or out, doesn't matter. I highly doubt Ford had any reason to change going to the 2011. The key does need to be in and on to program the buttons.

I have to agree with you, it's probable that Ford didn't change it.

I have to question the logic of Ford, requiring the key for programing but not for use. You would think if they considered the key a good idea for programing, they would have considered the remote a good idea to include in the "lock out" for security reasons!

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
would the same logic apply to any garage door opener that you clip to the visor?

Yes! However you can simply take that clip on remote with you like you do your keys!

Apparently if you use the convenient built-in remote, you might as well leave your garage door open!

Now that I think about it, I'll bet Ford's logic is, "if you use the remote, the garage door opens, you pull your truck into the garage and you close the garage door". My 3 car garage has three separate doors which don't even come close to being wide enough for my 350 DRW. I doubt the doors will be wide enough to accommodate the new 350 SRW. If not, just as I do with my DRW, I will have to park outside, where having a remote in the truck is tantamount to leaving the garage door open.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
If you are parking outside then don't program the remote. No need for it if you are parking outside. That is unless you are like my wife and wear out the opener along with letting all the heat out of the garage just to walk in(very inconvenient to open the man door).

Better idea yet is to program it to open the neighbors door. Talk about a good way to get rid of the thieves. When they pushed the button and the neighbors door opened they would give up on your place and go clean out the neighbors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14