Garret GTP-38r rant

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Guys... You all know my feelings on the Garret turbo, and after thinking more and more about it I figured I would make one long post about it and let it be.

I bought a Garret GTP-38r about 16 months ago, took about 2 months to have the time to install it. We installed it at the Tech day at my house, a few of you where there. From about day two I knotice surge, and about week two I saw blue smoke... WTF?

So I start asking around about what kind of warranty this turbo has... Many of you know the LACK of warranty this thing has, if it blows up, you have to send it to Garret, wait for them to "look" at it, and maybe, just maybe they will fix it.

Well, after I had a TN unit to run while Garret "looked" at my turbo, about three months later I got a New Garret which I was told had some "extra" porting done to it. It still surged, and leaked oil... Then I got another one... and it was better on the surging, but still leaked past the compressor O rings... So I was told they were working on another one... for months... Been over 6 months now, so I gave up...

FYI I was told to keep quiet about my issues if I wanted any help from Garret:rolleyes: ... Well I figured, if they are not going to help me then why should I allow others to make the same mistake I did???

So those of you that dismiss my Garret issues as ramblings of a idiot:doh: should really relize the headache I went thru trying to get a working $1600 turbo.

Am a a little jaded? Hell yes! Would you be?:cussing:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Joe that is crazy. I figured that Garret would be a name that you could stand behind and with their named everywere in the diesel world you would figure that they would want to keep their names in the best part of the word and when it came to somebody having and issuse with one of their products, I would have thought that would be the first priority. Sorry that you are having such a tuff time with them. Glad to finally understand the ranting behind Garret Turbos

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14