garret turbo

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,I'm new here and have a question regarding the turbo on my 7.3. The motor is out of the chassis right now for replacement of rotted out exhaust manifolds,so I'm thinking its a good time to look at and maybe upgrade the turbo. I would do new seals and bearings and I would like a billet wicked wheel,but Ive heard that the new wheel and the old shaft need to be sent out for balanceing.I'm hopeing someone knows more about this than I do! I do have the TS 6 pos chip,IH up pipes,4" straight thru exhaust,and a BD transmission,205k miles. I use the truck mostly to pull a 37' fifth wheel toy hauler and a 4 horse trailer.Thanks!

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the whole assembly should be balanced. You're changing a big part of something that can spin to 100k rpm. Were you going to rebuild yourself or send it out?

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seals and bearings are not an issue,I'll do it myself,but I cant balance the rotateing assembly. All the dealers that make/sell these wheels say nothing about rebalancing,so I have to wonder how many of these wheels are spinning around out there without it.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drop in wheels are supposed to be fine.
Obviously balancing wouldn't hurt, but I doubt it'll blow up if you don't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW.... ?

Back in my 7.3 days.. I installed many Wicked Wheels for others. Never re-balanced any of them. Never had any failures or issues of any kind.

Just be Real Clean about the installation... (and be carful when handling the wheel(s), the leading edges are Razor Sharp.)

Joe

(you will see pre-balance grindings on the new wheel.. from the maker)

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called diesel power products and they said that the Garret turbos are not balanced as assemblys at the factory, but balabced as individual parts,so it doesnt matter what wheel goes on what as long as the wheel itself is balanced.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the way I always understood it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JRJ04

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents...i had the WW installed on my stock turbo of my '02 and all was fine for a few years. Eventually, the turbo went south and it was clear that the shaft was out of balance based on the markings from where the wheel was hitting on the housing. Had a rebuilt turbo put in and had it all balanced...still might be running today for all i know!. My sense is...if you've got it all apart, go get it balanced. If you didn't have that option, i would roll the dice as others seemed to have had better luck than me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58