Garrett Turbo??

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
On my 97 F-350, the turbo said Garrett on it. I was wondering if this was stock or if the PO replaced it. Also, did these motors come with wastegates? Lastly, what are the usual boost ratings for these? Thanks

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The Garrett is stock, the 94-97's were not waste gated (they didnt WG until the 99+ which were intercooled) and stock you should be able to build 15 to 17 lbs of boost.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Oil can be a never ending debate, Chevron Delo 400, Shell Rotella both seem to be popular choices and yes an intercooler can be added to the 94-97 trucks with a little work.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know if this is a dumb question but what is a wastegate and why didnt they put in on the obs trucks if its a good thing

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
i dont know if this is a dumb question but what is a wastegate and why didnt they put in on the obs trucks if its a good thing
A waste gate helps control compressor surge (they also put a less aggressive compressor wheel in the 99+ superduties), we dont have them on the OBS trucks specifically because we dont have intercoolers.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
another question, probably stupid, but here goes, are you supsoed to be able to see the fly wheel where the motor connects to the tranny??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58