Question Gateway laptops

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with gateway laptops? Im thinking of buying one that looks great on paper but can't find any online reviews.

Thanks!

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pete, I bought a new Gateway MD7818u and I love it work's great for me came with Vista Home Premium and Norton 360 90 day trial software. It's got good battery life it does everything I need of it... Oh by the way did you see this. This is what I have. Looks like a good deal if you trust refurb's.....Gateway MC7801u Refurbished Notebook PC – Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2GHz, 4GB DRR2, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 16” WXGA, Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Red RB-L-LX.W150X.001 at TigerDirect.com Just a thought, lemme know what ya' think......

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I can't say anything good or bad about Gateway.

I can say stay away from HP or Compact. I've had bad problems with both brands in the past that led to significant expenses or monetary losses for me. I find it ironic the two companies merged a few years back. They deserve each other.

I had a Sony that worked well for about 4-5 years before it died.

I now have had a Dell for about 2 1/2 years now. I had some issues back in Jan/Feb, but I messed with it for a while and the problems went away. :dunno Other than that brief issue, it's been good to me.

Last edited:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I ultimately found a couple of reviews of the one I was looking at and decided to buy it. While shopping Amazon for it, I discovered the one I was looking at was the older model and that the new one was $15 cheaper. So, I am getting:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668264.php

It's for my wife and should do everything she will need. TG, you are right about HP. I have had issues with them in the past on a fax machine. Their customer service was unacceptably bad and I've sworn off them for good.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I also have a dead HP that I would really like to get a few pictures out of. Last fall I switched to Mac and I will never go back to the frustrations of a pc.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a dead HP that I would really like to get a few pictures out of. Last fall I switched to Mac and I will never go back to the frustrations of a pc.

If your HP is a laptop, watch this video. I had problems with mine, and did the shade tree fix. Has been working for a month now. At least it allowed me to get a few items off of the computer. Mine is a dv9000 series, but this problem affects any HP laptop with a NIVDA and AMD processor.

A recall and extended warrenty on the affected notebooks.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Mine ain't nothing like the one in the video, it is over 10 years old. I have a enclosure for the hard drive ordered and I will see if I can pull the pictures out of it that way. There is only about a month of pictures that were not backed up when it crashed but they include Christmas 05' so I want them back.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought a Gateway aptop for my wife a couple of years ago that had some issues. Primarily the USB ports keep dying out. It is currently limping along with just one of 4 that works. When we researched it, turned out that this was a common problem that req'd a new mother board to fix. At one time none of the ports would work. Anyway, we're limping along with the one USB and plan on staying away from any more Gateways for awhile. We use a lot of Dell PC's and laptops at work and they seem to be pretty solid. Problem is, depending who you talk to, someones had good experiences and others have had bad experiences with most any of the brands. My son's Acer desktop has been flawless for the past year. Always a gamble! :dizzy

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
I'm using one right now. 2 years old and has Vista Home. Only issue that I have is that it didn't have enough RAM to run Vista + any other app when I bought it. Make sure it has the proper amount. Other than that, it's been great especially for the price. I even left it out in the rain right after I got it and it hasn't missed a lick.Battery life could be a tad longer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58