Gauge Installation.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Finally ordered my gauges yesterday. They should be delivered either Weds or Thurs. So that means that Saturday I am planning on putting them in before I go out Sat night and have a little fun.

So my question is for all of you experts out there what are the tricks. I have read installation articles. I am pretty much planning on doing this myself so Im just wondering if there is anything that I should know about?

The pyro is going pre-turbo in the drivers side manifold. The boost I think I am tapping into the intake plenum, should that go in the hot side or the cold side?

Thanks for the info. Any other articles would be helpful. Thanks guys. Kyle

dpantazis

Reaction score
kyle-
i am the eternal noob- i found most install instructions online a total waste of time- most of the pictures were either terrible or rotated 90 degrees.

here is most of my documentation of my gauge install-

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=550683908&security=xrBVjw

boost gauge- i put it on the pass side of the y-pipe. you have to pretty much disconnect all the boots on the the intercooler pipes, y-pipe and take off the turbo clamps. now is a good time to clean your boots or upgrade them. hint hint.

don;t forget things like grommet for firewall pass through, shrink tubing, etc...

tips- sharpie marker to darken bulbs. painting the pod take a while. lots of THIN coats, getting the headlight switch is a PITA.

dennis

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Headlight switch- Using a multimeter find the wire thats changes voltage as you adjust the dimmer. This is wire is what you will connect the lighting to.

Bottom of the dash to the right of the go pedal- There will be wiring there not connected to anything. They will be wrapped in a white sticker that says customer access wires among other writing. This is where I connected my power source.

Pyro. Drill and tap the driver side manifold in the flat spot next to the oil filter. Cover drill bit and tap with axle grease or vaseline to catch metal shavings.

Boost- Either install with a tee into the map line or drill and tap the y-pipe or AIH delete plug if you have one.

Pre wire everything on the pod, daisy chaining or looping together power and lighting circuits, and then fishing down the extra.

Transmission- Install sender in drivers side of tranny, forward of shifter wiring. Make sure the sending unit is not too deep for the hole your putting it in by using something to check the depth of the hole.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Which side of the y-pipe? Is it gonna change the readings? How long should the installation take?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Either side of the y-pipe. The side are not physically connected just cast in a way that looks like it. If you tap the drivers side it will show what the turbo is making, if you tap the passenger side it will show what the turbo made after it went through the intercooler, a lower overall number. It's most common to tap after the intercooler.

If this is you're first gauge install, I would set aside :dunno 4-8 hours, it's hard to say.

If you have any questions just post up and we'll walk you through it.;)

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oi8228oi said:
glad i used the bully dog out look monitor that pluged into the MAF and gave me my boost numbers.... by they way how accurate are those #'s

They are ok until you have to install a blow off or regulater, then they will stop at whatever setting the blow off is at.

One thing I forgot to mention over there is that I ran 90% of my wires thru the auto tranny cable hole, at the floor. The pyro is right there, the tranny is right there, the oil temp or pressure is right there... Makes a quick and clean install. Only one I ran thru the fire wall for the boost and the fuel pressure!:thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58