gauge questions 05-07 interior

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of gauges/gauge pods are you guys running in your trucks? I've got an '06 and am thinking of putting EGT, tranny temp, and volt meter gauges in my truck. I don't want to lose the handle by the door, so pillar gauges are out. What kind of gauges are you running, and where are they mounted?

Also, how accurate are the stock tranny temp gauges? Do you think it's necessary to put an aftermarket gauge in? If you are running an aftermarket tranny temp gauge, does the stock one still work?

Last edited:

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock tranny temp gauge is pretty much an idiot light with a needle. By the time it actually shows a problem you're already damaging the tranny. You add a separate sender for the aftermarket tranny temp gauge so it doesn't effect the factory gauge.

If you don't want to use a pillar mount you have a choice between on top of the dash or above the rear view. I don't have gauges yet but that is what I was shopping for today. I am deciding between Autometer Z-series and Isspro gauges. I had the Z-series in my Dodge and I really like them. I never use my grab handles so I'm going with fuel pressure, boost, tranny temp, and EGT on the pillar and a volt meter mounted on the steering column.

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock tranny temp gauge is pretty much an idiot light with a needle. By the time it actually shows a problem you're already damaging the tranny. You add a separate sender for the aftermarket tranny temp gauge so it doesn't effect the factory gauge.

That's what I was thinking. Do you know where the aftermarket sending unit goes?

I might have to go with the above the rearview gauge mount due to the fact that I've got lights mounted to my a pillars (PO had them installed), but I won't know until I can see the different styles. Where can these pods be found? After searching, every dash mount I found says it's only for '99-'04.

Also, if you're adding an aftermarket boost gauge, are you thinking that the factory boost gauge is junk too?

Last edited:

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using an Edge Insight monitor that goes on the pillar but you can keep your grab handle. Then you can customize what functions you want to monitor and have multiple set-ups to switch to different screens you customize yourself. Even down to the backlighting color. Works pretty slick. I'm currently monitoring EGT, Coolant Temp, Oil Temp and Trans Temp on one screen. :sweet

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my analog gauges with the Edge Attitude controller in my Dodge. I personally prefer the actual gauge because I find it easy to see where a needle is pointing than to read a number while driving.

I was just reading something today about a test port on the side of the transmission that the sender will thread into. I don't remember if that was a specific sender or if any sender with the correct thread would work.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
The link below should give you an idea of the mounting of the pillar gauge pod as well as the location to install the transmission temp gauge sender. To answer your question, yes the factory dash trans temp gauge will still work.

Gauge Installations at DieselManor- 2003-2007 6.0L Powerstroke

Near the bottom of the first page you will see picture detailing the installation of the trans temp gauge.

Hope this helps.

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Details look good for installing the tranny temp sender, but I'm still looking for some gauge pods that do not go on the pillar.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
I assume you have looked at the gauge mounting options offered by Diesel Manor? If they don't have it for the super duty trucks then I dare say it doesn't exist and you'll have to make your own mount or compromise and use something readily available.

Heres a thought...Does your truck have the driver's side storage compartment under the pocket where the trailer brake controller and upfitter switches go? If it does and you want to sacrifice that storage compartment you can replace that entire lower dash piece with one from a truck that was built with the manual transfer case shifter. By doing this you can then use the under dash mounting pod that Diesel Manor sells for the super duty trucks. Voila!!! Three gauges not on the pillar or the overhead!!!

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the only thing I can find is the pillar mount. My truck does have the storage cubby (instead of the upfitter switches). I'll have to investigate the idea you mentioned of replacing the panel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg