gauge readings & healthy trucks

dpantazis

Reaction score
does anyone have any baseline values for things like boost, egt and trans temp for stock trucks and chipped trucks?

i am trying to read up and make purchasing decisions for gauges and a chip. but it seems that everyting number that is thrown out there that is important is done with a reference to failure or damage. but what should normal things be? granted, this may seem really fundamental to most, but its really confusing reading all the (mis)information out there.

what should gauges 'normaly' read for trans temp, turbo boost and egt for differing driving conditions on 'healthy' trucks?

• driving empty around town running errands
  • driving empty on the highway at say 65
  • pulling a light trailer on a level road, ? speed
  • pulling a heavy trailer on a level road.? speed
  • pulling a light trailer in the hills
  • pulling a heavy trailer in the hills
  • impending dooma nd self destruction?

granted there are variances in gauge accuracies and everything is relative to temp, humidity, wind and planet alignment, but perhaps we can make a sticky or wiki out of the good info.

thanks
dennis

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
dpantazis said:

• driving empty around town running errands
    driving empty on the highway at say 65
    pulling a light trailer on a level road, ? speed
    pulling a heavy trailer on a level road.? speed
    pulling a light trailer in the hills
    pulling a heavy trailer in the hills
    impending dooma nd self destruction?

Pyro* I normally see about 400-800 degrees when driving around town. The 800 comes because of my heavy foot leaving stop lights at half throttle. Your pyro should generally be close to the speed you're running plus a zero, gain there are many variances.

Boost* I can hit 10 lbs boost driving like my wife with 1/4" of pedal. Boost is all related to the go pedal. I'm seeing 23lbs WOT now, with some turbo issues

Tranny* Unless I have been in my truck for over an hour I rarely see the gauge move above 140. It's generally acceptable for the gauge to be 100 over ambient temperature.

All of the above are on my truck without a trailer, but always carrying a 600+ lb load of electrical tools and material.

*When towing you should always try to keep your egt's under 1200-1250 when possible. Short bursts above that are OK but do not push higher than that on a long grade.

*If you are running a stock turbo then you should try to keep your boost levels under 25lbs when possible. There are guys out there running higher levels, but its not recommended. Be aware of turbo surge and stall also to prolong the life of your turbo.

*If you are towing and see tranny temps above 180 then I would pull over if I could and let it cool down.

**These are my personal opinions

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I see about 400 on the pyro while driving around town. When I get on it for extended periods or pull hard up hill I can see about 900-1100 depending on load.

During normal driving I see under 20 lbs of boost but can hit well over 20 if I push it hard. Mine will hit close to 30 when the ambient temp is well below zero.

You are going to find that all trucks are different depending on chip, injectors, condition of turbo, climate and a bunch of other variables.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed my guages yesterday. I cannot get more than 15 psi and I am running no more than 900F on the EGT, unloaded, no chips, stock 01.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
jopes said:
I just installed my guages yesterday. I cannot get more than 15 psi and I am running no more than 900F on the EGT, unloaded, no chips, stock 01.

thats completely normal with no chip, egt's are a little high, probably the stock exhaust?

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
normal every day driving on my 95.

6-700* on the pyro,25 PSI on boost,140-160 on the tranny

on friday nights

1500+* on the pyro,30-36PSi on the boost and 200+ on the tranny.when it gets to 200 on the tranny i let the truck sit for 1/2 hour and start again :burnit

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey how are you guys getting in the 20's on boost. i was towing a 7000lb skid steer up a big hill last weekend and i got on it about half way up the hill and still only managed to reach mid teens on the boost. thats with Edge evolution set on level three and running pretty rich. not alot of smoke either, not sure if thats normal. when the truck shifted into third the boost released and gave a big ol' pop, that was kinda scary. im new to diesel so i to dont really now what is normal and dont know how to achieve higher boost. have never been in the 20's.

thanks doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl