Gauges

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Ok, I have the tap for installing the thermocoupler. so how do I turn it once I get the hole drilled. Do I just use a rachet or is there some kind of special tool for this?

Thanks.
Jamie

Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
Ok, I have the tap for installing the thermocoupler. so how do I turn it once I get the hole drilled. Do I just use a rachet or is there some kind of special tool for this?

Thanks.
Jamie

Yep - you can just use a socket/rachet or box wrench, adjustable wrench, etc. They do make a tool to go on the end of the tap - I very rarely use it though unless I am using a very small tap.
Put a few drops of cutting oil or just any oil if you don't have the cutting. On deep taps you turn down a few turns and then back up to clear/break the tang - and then back down again. Notice that the tap is tapered - so you will want to make sure you turn it down past the tapered part - you don't have to do the entire lenght of the tap.
And - if you didn't buy a tap with the drill bit - make sure that you use the correct size drill - otherwise it will become fubar pretty quick.

Ron

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The end of the tap should be square, so if you want to use a ratchet you need a square drive socket. Check out THIS WEBSITE for a good set of gauge install instructions. They are written for the old body style Fords but never the less the content is good. Grease that tap liberally, the grease will collect the cuttings and prevent them from going inside the exhaust manifold and through your turbo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14