GD it!!! I thought I picked a good set of tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers from my local 4x4 shop that I've done a lot of business with the last 9 years. Balanced and installed, $950 out the door.

Drove about 5 miles on the interstate, these things had a pretty good bounce down the road - totally unacceptable. I called the shop back before I even made it halfway home (about 5 miles max).

Took them back a couple days later, picked it up, drove the same route. Not as bad, but still a shimmy that can be felt in the steering wheel. So, they gotta go back again - for the third time.

I get home, change clothes go outside to mow the grass and find that I have a rapidly deflating front tire!!!!!!!!!! Now, I am unholy pissed because I just spent 5-7 miles driving +70 mph on the interstate and these so-called brand new tires didn't even make it home!

This shop is about 13 miles away on the other side of town, a major pain in the ass to get to in evening traffic, plus I have to have another person to either take me or pick me up. And now I've got to do it a third time.

There's no way that these tires will ever be smooth (they've been balanced twice, plus I have Centramatics). I believe the tires are simple out of round.

I plan to tell the shop to just put the Conti's back on (I saved them since they still have about 5k miles left on them) and to forget it. Then I'll go down to the Big 10 tire shop that's only 2 miles down the road and see what they have that isn't Nittos.

$950 and I can't even drive my own truck. What POS tires.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can believe it. Most shops stink at balancing large tires in general. my local 4x4 shop couldn't balance my 35" Procomps. Horrible vibes. and when I went back and told them they said those tires balanced out perfect and this and that. I asked if they had a force balancer and they looked dumbfounded, so I said whatever and walked out. I had my local Ford Quick Lane across the street Force Balance them on the Hunter 9700 and smooth as glass with the correct Weights for the OEM wheels. I think your problem is a 2 part problem, half the shops and half the tires. Does your shop have a force balancer? Centramatics will only do so much. I think to many tire shops don't want to spend the money on the Hunter 9700, and/or are stuck in the 1980's with the first coats spin balancer and think it's the latest and gratest. Funny thing is having the Quick Lane force balance them was cheaper than having 4wheel parts do a spin balance that sucked. You obviously need to do tire business with a different shop. Check this link out:

Hunter GSP9700 Wheel Vibration Control System

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I believe it, also. I fought my tire store that I had done business with for 25+ years. I changed shops. Don't but up with this sh**!!

Dave

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TampaDieselFX4 witch 4x4 shop do you goto?? The ones by me make me feel like I'm being raped for any work being done.

Fine69

Reaction score
I'd say try a different shop. My Nitto's balanced perfectly and I haven't touched them in 10K miles, not even rotated. Reminds me, I gotta rotate my tires.

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind befor you go crazy on these people. Your new tires are a pretty aggressive tread pattern. Alot of time when you have a worn component in chassis/suspension with stock tires it wont show up so much. Put a big heavy duty tire with a knarly tread design and can make a problem jump out like you wouldnt believe. Not saying thats your problem, but worth looking into.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
my grapplers run smooth as glass.
discount tire direct drop shipped to my door.
discount tire mount/balance. over 15k on mine and just rotated front to rears.

my vote is for the 33/33/33 = tire/shop/issue deal :dunno:sorry

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncle has an '06 PSD with dune grapplers on them. The truck rides super smooth!!!(Just in it earlier today)...Anyways sorry for your bad luck but it sounds to me like the RIGHT TIRE/WRONG SHOP. If you have continued trouble with the balancing and inflation i would think its the shop. :dunno The tires dont balance and inflate themselves!!! (just my opinion) Good luck and keep us posted.

Reaction score
haha the nitto terra grappler is not an aggressive tire at all. Don't believe me put em in mud and find out how good they do. Not to mention they dont last for squat way to soft a rubber.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58