Gear Swap

matt711

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So my new F250 came with a 3.55 rear end. I couldnt find any with the 3.31 which was what I really wanted. I can buy a 3.31 ring and pinion for not too much money. What are your opinions on the cost/benefit of doing this swap?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Swapping the gears is a big deal. If you have never done this, I would NOT recommend you try it. Leave this up to a good shop. And the gears are not cheap. BTW 3.55 is the lowest I am finding for your truck. Maybe an over drive??

Dave :dunno

matt711

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would probably buy Ford parts and have the dealer install them if I decide to go this route. Im sure it won't be cheap and likely take me a couple of years to even get ahead cost wise with the slight increase in MPG.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will never recoup the money you spend on the gear swap, you may find a Truck Shop that can do it a little cheaper than your Ford dealer.

Doug

matt711

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
At 1800 miles I am (according to the computer) getting 16.8 mpg of mixed driving mpg. Pretty darn impressed with that number. From 3.55 to 3.31 I can't imagine the number jumping too much. I guess the gear swap idea doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg