Question Gearing?

Tman123

That One Guy
Reaction score
Anyone know where's a good place to buy new ring & pinion gears for a 2002 F-350? I'm looking for 4.11 for a good price. I currently have 35" mudders on my truck and I wanna get the most outa my drivetrain. I believe my truck has 3.73s in it stock.

Should I worry about changing the gearing for better economy/performance while DD and towing?

Travis

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the shift points in the trans. first. Some tuners have a set up for doing this. If not the dealer will match the shift point to the tire size. I did it with my 04 when I went to 35" tires. That fixed my crappy MPG I was getting and put more get up and go too.

I was looking at your tuner It has the set up in there.
Correction of Speedometer & Shift Points

Last edited:

Tman123

That One Guy
Reaction score
When I change the tuner to my tire size my speedo becomes incorrect. So I have to set my tire size to 32.50" or my speedo will be way off. Kinda weird but that's what it does. 315= 35" right?

Travis

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I change the tuner to my tire size my speedo becomes incorrect. So I have to set my tire size to 32.50" or my speedo will be way off. Kinda weird but that's what it does. 315= 35" right?

Travis

Then there is a problem with the tuner. Take the tuner off go to the dealer and have them set the trans. to the tire size. Also you can email the tuner company and ask about updates and let them reset the tuner. The updates may do this. But go to the dealer first and have them set the trans. shift point for you. You wont need to mess with it again.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually looking to do the exact opposite of what you want I have 4.11 in my truck and would love to have 3.73's in there. My truck gets uses as a multipurpose hauler & tow-rig, about 1/2 of my miles are with nothing behind the truck so running 70 turning just over 2k drinks a bit of fuel.

Tman123

That One Guy
Reaction score
Found out my truck actually has 4.10 gears in it. I programmed my tires for 33.50 inch since thats what they are ( measured them with a tape measure and they are worn down pretty bad :lmao) and she is running A LOT better. I turn about 2k rpm at 75mph and I've been getting pretty good mileage outa her. My needle hardly ever moves. Like today I put 120 miles on her and the needle almost didn't budge. And I was haulin balls every where lol.

Travis

Tman123

That One Guy
Reaction score
Much better! Fourth can still be a dog sometimes but all and all she's shifting much better. :D

Travis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58