Gears

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Jusst wondered how I can tell what gear ratio my truck is? And is it true that the 3:73 is better? Why? And how hard is it to convert to that ratio? Thanks folks!!

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
call the dealership (parts dept.), and give them your VIN # they can tell you everything about it. (when it was stock)

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Should be on the rear axle tag. It is coded in with 373 in there and an L if limited slip.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Swapping gears is no easy and or fast task, its very irritating to get the right pattern and you are constantly putting it in, checking all the measurmnets and or having to pull it back out and change things around.. Definatly if its your daily driver, pay and expert to do it, and just watch or get involved if you want to learn... Also the tools to do this project are also expensive.. Ive done gears and know how to do it, but I had to learn through friends

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
With your 35" tires I would keep the 4.10's (if you have them.) The process is intimidating, and rightfully so. If you do not have a friend who is GOOD with gears and has the time, and patience, to help you then I would leave the R&R to a good shop. Don't forget to do both diffs

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Fireman said:
Hey Folks,
Jusst wondered how I can tell what gear ratio my truck is? And is it true that the 3:73 is better? Why? And how hard is it to convert to that ratio? Thanks folks!!
Well, it appears that you have an F-250 in your sig. All SRW rigs are 3.73 from the factory. So, unless they have been changed aftermarket, you have 3.73.

As far as what's better, it depends a lot on what you do with it. Lots of really heavy towing, and 4.10's are your best bet. Lots of anything else (towing < 10K even a lot, daily driving, hauling in the bed, etc) then 3.73's are your best bet. My '95 had 4.10's. It was pretty top-end limited, 75 MPH fuel economy sucked. My 99 has 3.73s. I would not go back for what I use it for. With the extra low gear on the 6-spd, I am not missing any low-end gearing, even at 24,500 gross (the heaviest I've ever been, about 4500 lbs over manufacturer's spec) and with the OD, my highway RPM is nice and low (2K at 70) and fuel economy is a lot better at high speed. I think even if I towed at 24K regularly, I would still stay with 3.73's, the truck does just fine.

Just my .02...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58