GEM Module Questions

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, My Ex is starting to get on my nerves.

A few months back I was told that my GEM was going south when I asked how to diagnose the truck not responding to the keyfob. I havent gotten to replacing it because I have had other fires to put out and I can use the key.

This week new electrical issues have surfaced.

Now my airbag warning light comes one, my cruise stopped working and so has my horn.

Fuses are all good.

Are these all on the GEM or do I have more gremlins to trace?

IF more gremlins where do I start?

Thanks for the advice!

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
My truck did the same thing. Sounds like a clock spring in the steering wheel. I replaced it and it all worked again. The GEM is another issue that I hope I will not have to deal with.
Good luck.

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The clock spring has input into the cruise, horn, and airbag?

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
Yes if you have cruise control buttons on the steering wheel.
Tell me does it light up at night when you have the lights on? If not I would almost guarantee that is the problem. The cruise does not work, does not light up, the airbag light is on, and the horn doesn't work. The exact same symptoms that were fixed by my clockspring R&R.

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
THat's what I have going on to a "T"!

What's involved with RnR'n a clock spring? Any special tools needed?

THanks for the advice!

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
Don't really know...took mine to the dealership...I didn't want to mess with the airbag.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a clock spring r&r question last week, never got any answers. I don't think it's too hard, I plan on doing it myself. I THINK you need some regular tools plus torx sockets, and a steering wheel puller (can borrow from autozone, etc.) Don't see too many problems with it, but don't pull the locking tab out until you are done, or it will unwind on you.

Unhook battery, and wait. Remove ignition and steering column covers. Unbolt airbag from rear of steering wheel. Remove wheel. Remove clock spring, follow wires. Reinstall wires and clock spring, reassemble column and airbag. Hook up battery.

Note I have not done this, plan on doing it soon, so I don't know how accurate it is yet....

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You are correct. The clockspring is not hard to replace (Clockspring is a Chrysler term, sliding contact is the Ford term). The only thing you forgot in your proceedure is that you must make sure that the steering wheel is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead during your installation. Your new sliding contact will come with a tab that keeps it centered as you install it. If the wheel is not straight, you will break the wires inside the sliding contact the first time you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side. Good luck, Gil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg