General Ameritrac

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
The tires are General Ameritrac TR LT 235/85R16 Load Range E.

I noticed something unusual on the outside of both rear outside tires.

It looks like you peeled a thread out of the sidewall area, about just outside and above the white lettering. This groove runs all the way around the tire.

I checked the two front tires, no groove.

I've never seen this in a tire before. I noticed this yesterday while checking pressure level prior to hooking up my Cardinal 5th wheel trailer. Any ideas?

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might have cut a line in the tire if you rolled the sidewall along a curb or somthing else you might have caught the outside dually wheels on ???

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Be careful with generals. They are not very good tires. E 350 had them on it had a groove in the sidewall almost like it's been driven on low psi, but hasn't. Two rears both threw the tread off this summer and tore the sides of the van to peices. Pissed me the **** off.

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the tread on them puppies looks brand new nearly. i by looking at teh pics, think maybe the outer casing cver is coming un adhered
how many miles are on them??
looks like a possible defect that would be covered unless you ran across a razor surface. its to perfect to be a kid with aknife blade
can you lift the dege with a fingernail??

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion about tire brands. I have a negative opinion about Generals.

Had problems with them 24 years ago in the tractor trailer leasing business.

Since then I have had personal friends have them come apart at very inopportune times.

Then there was that D**ge dully I was passing that had a rear General tire exploded throwing shrapnel against the side of my truck!!! -mad

Just my experiences...............others may have had very good luck with these tires.

Tbar

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Puddle Pirate said:
Nope. It's a groove with no flap. Goes all the way around both tires. Not something that I could have rubbed up against. Tires have about 20,000 miles on them.

iffin it was me i take em to where i bought em and have em replaced under defective issues
really looks like a mold line has seperated. by the way i only got 35k or so out of my factory general on the 02 before they were ugly worn up front
god luck let us know

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14