glow plug controller smoking

jsrusse11

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i think its the called the glow plug controller but the brown cylinder on the back of the intake has started to smoke when i flip the key to warm the plugs. my truck wasn't starting so i just replaced the glow plugs and the fuel filter. the smoking started after the new parts. still won't start too.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
yep you found it. aslo check the fues link at the drivers fender area that carry teh voltage over to it, they corroded from the inside out and will create a bunch of heat.

jsrusse11

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
it has stopped smoking and i got it to start after letting it sit. thanks anyways. i test the new autolite GP's and got .5 resistance. should i change them out or just leave them for a little while. i really don't wanna spend the money if it's not totally necessary.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
you really should get them out and replaced with the motorcraft ZD9s.would you rather spend another 90 or so dollars or 500 or more to have your heads pulled off to get a stuck plug out?or worse a few grand to replace the engine cuz a tip broke off,fell into the cylinder and pounded the piston into little pieces?it can and has happened.i watched a friend of mine push the broken tips into the cylinder of a 6.2 chevy diesel.i told him not to do it.well 2 weeks later he has a piston sitting in his oil pan :eek:

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
I had a 6.9 a couple of years ago, and i finally got rid of the controller, the wiring harness for the controller just wore out/ shorted out what ever. I cant remember exactly how it goes but if you do a search you can probably find the diagram for just putting a push button to activate the glow plugs, mine worked great no problems what so ever with gp after getting rid of the controller.

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
The Autolites are no good, believe me, I had to pull BOTH heads after I had 7 of the 8 break tips off inside my motor, the 8th swelled up so bad it took 2 hours before it finally broke in pieces and came out, 2 hours with the head off of the motor sitting on the bench I might add. The tips will get pounded into the tops of the pistons if they break off in there, making a nicely noticable knocking sound, and I would assume engine damage eventually. I was able to blow the tip of one glowplug out of the exhaust by my Dad running the (crap) out of my truck, that hurt to watch!!

Dave

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I would really try to talk the glow plug controller into dipping rather than smoking, it's much more friendly to bystanders health.:D

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I would really try to talk the glow plug controller into dipping rather than smoking, it's much more friendly to bystanders health.:D
Nicorette's on sale at Walgreens...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58